Oak in IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emacgee

Reaction score
I've got an IPA about to finish up the primary and was going to use some oak chips while I dry hopped and was looking for suggestions as far as amount and time. I obviously don't want the IPA to sit for a long time on oak so as to preserve the freshness of the hops so I'm trying to find a way to use enough oak chips to impart an oak character in about 10 days. I'd imagine I should stick French oak, should I use chips that have been charred? Suggestions welcome

I just bottled an IPA in which I used an oak spiral from "the barrel mill".. Left it in the secondary for 4 days before I bottled.. It was an american medium toast spiral, one I usually use for winemaking.. A taste test at bottling revealed just a slight hint of oak flavor, and expect it to be perfect for my needs.. Hope this helps

Oak chips or cubes will give you plenty of flavor in that time. Chips will be the fastest since they have the most surface area.

I've also used chips - American light or medium, can't remember, I think I used 4 oz. for 5 days, but all of the exact details are at home in the brew-log.

At least in the wine world, french oak is thought to be a little more mineraly, whereas American oak is more vanilla and overwhelming. French oak might be good, but American oak might impart a vanilla that could seem out of place in an IPA.

I have an oaked IPA in my fridge right now. I used the Stavin oak cubes, from Austin Homebrew Supply. 2-1/2 oz of the French oak at house toast for about ten days left a nice subtle oakiness in the beer, without overpowering the malt or hops flavors.

I believe all I will have access to will be cubes/chips. So for about 10 days how much chips or cubes should I use and of what if any level of toasting or charring?

At least in the wine world, french oak is thought to be a little more mineraly, whereas American oak is more vanilla and overwhelming. French oak might be good, but American oak might impart a vanilla that could seem out of place in an IPA.

Very good point.. I should have mentioned that in my other post. One should be very careful with spirals, they work very quick compared to the chips I used to get.. Learned the hard way unforunately.. Made a beer and kept the spiral in too long(2 weeks).. In winemaking terms, it tasted like chateau plywood for the first few weeks, but is just starting to mellow a bit.. You can get french oak spirals, just a little more money though..

I'm planning on doing an oaked IPA for my next PM. I got the recipe from The Homebrewer's Recipe Guide (Oak Tree IPA). They call for 2 oz. oak chips. It says to boil the chips for 10 minutes to sanitize and place in secondary for 7 to 10 days. Did you do an AG?

Latest posts

Back