Oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robholly

Reaction score
How long should you soak your chips in secondary for an imperial stout

I use about 1 ounce of chips for 3 gallons of beer and leave the beer on the oak for about 2 weeks.

The test is when you taste it. If it's just right, or even a tiny bit too much, it's time to get it off of the oak.

I'd sample every few days as it seems like it can go from under to over oaked in a matter of days. Alternately you could add less chips to start, and just leave them in secondary longer.

Ok thanks Yooper & Vandulus I have a 6.6 gallon batch with a half lb of chips soaked in bourbon for 3 weeks prior to seconday.The stout has been on the chips for 5 days and I am anti pre tasting for several reasons should I keg or let ot go longer ?????? THANKS

Taste it to find out. There's really no other way to find out if it's enough. If you are dead-set on not tasting it, then keg it now and revise your recipe for the next time you make it.

But really... just taste it.

Back