Oak chips soaked in bourbon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
I bought a christmas ale extract kit from midwest a couple months ago and I never brewed it and since then I now do all grain. Was gonna brew this up when i get bored and let it sit until christmas. Figure I don't really care too much for this kit I would like to try and add some bourbon flavor to it. I was going to just get a large mason jar and fill it with chips and then fill it with bourbon and soak it for a few months. When do you recommend adding it to my beer? Any tips would be appreciated. I will probably brew it in February and let it sit until summer at least before I bottle it that way it can condition for a few months before christmas.

Go with an ounce or two of medium toast chips and about 8 oz bourbon (I find one oz to be enough, but you may like more). Let it soak for at least a few weeks, 2 months is fine if that's your plan. When time comes to package, strain out the chips and discard them, and just add the oaked bourbon to your brew.

If you have the time to soak oak for a couple of months, I'd go with cubes. A lot more complex flavors, but takes a while to get them.

Ii often soak oak in 8 ozs of bourbon, and add it to 2.5 gallons at bottling. I basically bottle a full batch as normal, and when I get down to 2.5 gallons, I add the oaked bourbon. You get 2 slightly different beers from the same batch.

I usually add a vanilla bean in with the bourbon and oak.

After I've used the oak once, I refill the container with 8 ozs of bourbon (with the old oak and vanilla), and store it away for at least 6 months, before using in another beer.

Back