Oak Chips sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnmike24

Reaction score
Brewing a 10 gallon batch of american wheat that is oak aged with merlot grapes. A friend has a winery and i can get a bunch of differet grape pressings each septment. I was transfering to the seconday last night and added the oak chips with out sanitizing. I know i should have steamed them but completely forgot. Will this add any nasties to the beer? Should i be woried about infection?

that could be a tough one....Where did you get the oak chips from, I know sometimes they can hold quit a bit of nastiness. I have only used them a couple times. A freind of mine used some that came with a kit and hedidnt sanitize and it turned out fine. So I guess there really isnt a straight answer but DWRHAHB

Primary is done. I got them at the local wine shop. No local home brew store! I checked the secondary this morning before work and everything looked good. But it was only about 12 hours since i put them in there.

I agree that adding them after the primary fermentation is done, you'll probably be okay for nasties. But without having steamed or boiled them, they might be a little stronger in flavor. You might want to draw a small sample every couple days to make sure you don't over oak it.

Back