Oak Chips sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Johnmike24

Reaction score
Brewing a 10 gallon batch of american wheat that is oak aged with merlot grapes. A friend has a winery and i can get a bunch of differet grape pressings each septment. I was transfering to the seconday last night and added the oak chips with out sanitizing. I know i should have steamed them but completely forgot. Will this add any nasties to the beer? Should i be woried about infection?

mot

Reaction score
that could be a tough one....Where did you get the oak chips from, I know sometimes they can hold quit a bit of nastiness. I have only used them a couple times. A freind of mine used some that came with a kit and hedidnt sanitize and it turned out fine. So I guess there really isnt a straight answer but DWRHAHB

IowaStateFan

Reaction score
You added them after the primary was done, right? Your beer has plenty of alchohol in it and should kill any nasties living on the oak chips. I wouldn't worry. I bet it'll be fine.

OP
J

Johnmike24

Reaction score
Primary is done. I got them at the local wine shop. No local home brew store! I checked the secondary this morning before work and everything looked good. But it was only about 12 hours since i put them in there.

feedthebear

Reaction score
I agree that adding them after the primary fermentation is done, you'll probably be okay for nasties. But without having steamed or boiled them, they might be a little stronger in flavor. You might want to draw a small sample every couple days to make sure you don't over oak it.

OP
J

Johnmike24

Reaction score
everything looks good so far... i'll take a sample tomorrow afternoon and check the taste. thanks for the help

Latest posts