Oak Chips--best use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciderlover

Reaction score
Any advice on the best way to use oak chips in making a simple cider?

I'll be starting with apple juice (i.e. filtered), so I was thinking about boiling the oak chips in some of the juice and then straining out the oak chips and fermenting.

Alternatively, I'd boil the oak chips in water for a few minutes to sanitize, and then toss in to the carboy. When I rack to secondary, I could leave the oak chips behind.

Any recommendations either way? Also, any recommendations on a good quantity of oak chips per gallon?

Many thanks!

steam the oak chips for 10-15 minutes, then drop them in for a 2-4 weeks, depending on how strong you want the oak flavor

I would steam the chips and add them after primary. I think it's best with any kind of addition to suspend whatever your adding by tying it to a piece of dental floss held in place by your plug. That way, you can pull it any time. In the case of oak chips, you can fashion a small bag, like a thin sock that fit in and out of your carboy. You can do this by rolling up a bit of nylon press bag. You can use floss to wrap up the ends.

As with all additions, start small. You can always add, but you can't take away. I would start with 50% of what you think is a good amount and check frequently. I'm always amazed at how little it takes. Remember that you want cider with the essence of oak not oak with the essence of cider. Finally, be sure you know what kind of oak and toast you're using, some are far stronger than others.

I'll do that--steaming would be much easier, and retain the flavor better I imagine.

Good idea with the bag/floss method. Don't want to overdo the oaky-ness.

I took a family size teabag and dumped the tea. I replaced the tea with the oak chips and then tied the oak chips in the bag. They have been in 2 weeks. I tested it this week and the cider still needs a few weeks soaking.

I like the oak cubes because the surface area on 1 oz of cubes is the same every time, so it makes it much easier to calibrate your system/approach to get predictable results than with chips/shavings. French oak has less strong flavor than American oak.

When I started, I used an ounce of American oak and kept tasting until I was happy with the results (several weeks). You can always add more or let it sit longer, but you can't remove flavor if you get too much.

You can, however, brew another batch and blend them to reduce the oak flavor.

I'm also running a couple of experiments using chips of BBQ wood like apple wood in my ciders, running the chips through the oven to toast them first.

Just don't think that you can get away with not sanitizing wood additions. Tends to be a bad mistake that often gives an annoying infection (but it still has a good chance of tasting good.) Course, if you do it once and see a thick gelatinous pellicle sitting on your cider, you tend to always remember how it happened and how to prevent it (or get it) again.

Back