Oak Chip questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

LucaBrewing

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing and I purchased Brewers Best Whiskey Barrel Stout kit. Currently, my beer has beer fermenting for a week and i am ready to add my chips, but I have some questions. 1) do you recommend that I soak the chips in whiskey? 2) if so, do i add the whiskey along with the oak chips to the beer? 3)do I put the oak chips directly into the beer? or do I use a muslin bag? I'm concerned when I rack my beer I will also rack the chips and when I bottle my concerned I will clog up the spigot or/and get the oak chips in my bottles. Any advice? Thanks!

Also, just as an fyi..I do not have a carboy so after I will put the chips in my fermenter and I will let the chips remain in contact with my beer for about 3-4 weeks than bottle.

StoutattheDevil

Reaction score
Use a sanitized muslin bag for them. It's easy to remove from a bucket and will hold in the chips. Just be sure not to overfill it so the chips won't puncture the bag. I personally start soaking my chips im going to use for the batch at the same time my primary fermentation starts. I also add the whiskey(what ever isn't absorbed by the chips) right to the batch. Some do some don't it's a matter of preference. It's a negligible amount of burbon usually so it's not going to impact anymore that nice fully soaked chips would. Hope that helps, cheers!

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I soaked 4oz of chips in 5 jiggers of Beam's Black for the same amount of time as primary fermentation. Then poured all through a muslin sack into secondary,tied it off,& dropped it in. 8 days was plenty for the dark ale I added it to. Taking a while to age & carbonate,though.