oak aging mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolegged

Reaction score
i just oaked a mead for the first time. dry tupelo,steinberg yeast 10% alc. aged 3 months. i have read it is best to oak before bottling(which i plan to do this weekend) i put french(no american were available locally) oak chips in for 4 days and pulled them. i read its very easy to over oak with chips and in the compleat meadmaker,it says to oak 4 to 7 days with chips.i am not exactly sure i taste much of a differance.dont want to over do it. any input here would be much appreciated. when is best time to oak and as far as flavor goes what exactly am i looking for?

Where are you seeing 4-7 days? The copy I have says one to two weeks to a month...

I usually have been oaking with chips for six weeks.

I will have to try the cubes,do cubes fit through the neck of a one gallon fermenter? Do you use American or French? For the oaking time, it is in the recipe section. Dry show mead. It is the first recipe. He recommends oaking with American oak chips from 4 to 7 days.

Back