Oak Aged DDH NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan Buckner

Reaction score
I've Googled Oak Aged DDH Imperial NEIPA with no results. Before I try it I'd like to know if anyone has tried this before. If so, was it a success or failure?

"Aged" and "NEIPA" don't belong together...

Cheers!

Thanks for your reply and I would agree since age drastically decreases hop flavor and aroma.
My plan was to ferment for a week, hop at high krausen, rack to secondary on oak chips, hop it a few days later, then after a week on the chips, hop it again then keg it with hops in a keg spider. So from brew day to keg would be about 2 weeks, which is the typical time frame.

When I first started homebrewing 25 years ago I did an oak aged IPA. It was not good....I certainly would not recommend it for a NEIPA.

If you still want to try it. Do very little oak (less that 8oz) It imparts a strong flavor in lighter beers.

-Mark

If it were me, I would just preload the primary fermenter with oak chips, and then brew/ferment a NEIPA as normal. You'd have about 2 weeks contact time, give or take.

Transferring to secondary and opening the fermenter multiple times are a surefire way to ruin NEIPA.

When I first started homebrewing 25 years ago I did an oak aged IPA. It was not good....I certainly would not recommend it for a NEIPA.

If you still want to try it. Do very little oak (less that 8oz) It imparts a strong flavor in lighter beers.

-Mark

Hmm, interesting I did an Oaked 90 min IPA with different hops but same hop schedule as Dogfish Heads and was rated one of the best beers I've done from a group of painfully honest beer snob friends. Their response wasn't "now this ones alright" it was "this is one I'd prefer over some breweries". I then used the chips from that batch, torched them and used them in an Oaked scotch ale. Another crowd favorite. I do appreciate the feedback though. Experimentation is what homebrewing is all about.

If it were me, I would just preload the primary fermenter with oak chips, and then brew/ferment a NEIPA as normal. You'd have about 2 weeks contact time, give or take.

Transferring to secondary and opening the fermenter multiple times are a surefire way to ruin NEIPA.

I have a conical fermentor that I would open the valve on to remove yeast. I would open the lid to drop a bag of chips in but there should be a cloud of co2 right? At that point it would only have recieved 1 hop addition at high krausen. It would have 3 more hop additions before being served. Thoughts?

I have a conical fermentor that I would open the valve on to remove yeast. I would open the lid to drop a bag of chips in but there should be a cloud of co2 right? At that point it would only have recieved 1 hop addition at high krausen. It would have 3 more hop additions before being served. Thoughts?
Any time the fermenter is opened, post fermentation, O2 will be introduced to the beer very rapidly. Do you mind if I ask what the purpose of 4 separate dry hop additions is?

Any time the fermenter is opened, post fermentation, O2 will be introduced to the beer very rapidly. Do you mind if I ask what the purpose of 4 separate dry hop additions is?
Seeing different recipes and techniques to make "hop bomb" neipas. Ive seen ddh in addition to putting hops in the keg. Putting hops in during high krausen for the biotransformation to have permanent haze. So I figured why not do all but with smaller additions. Instead of doing two 4oz additions I'd do four 2 oz additions.

Last edited:
Wanted to follow up with this since I just kegged it.
So I'll start with what I did.
I have a bubbler so I put it on a triclamped male hose adapter. I put 1oz of oak chips in a hop bag and tied fishing line on it and ran it through the top (out of the male hose adapter). I let it ferment for 10 days with a dry hop addition at high krausen after 2 days. Then I lowered the oak chips in and left it for 2 days. I just wanted to taste a hint of the oak so it doesnt over power the beer. After the 2 days, there were notes of oak on the back of the tongue and roof of the mouth so I pulled it off then put another dry hop addition for 3 days before kegging. At kegging I added vanilla extract, a hop tea and a hop addition in a hop spider I plan on leaving in.
FG was higher than planned missed by a few points but ended up being 8%. I assume this is due to using s33. I read forums saying it starts out vigorous but then slows way down. So I probably won't use it next time.
Ya'll, it is so damn good. Its like a rum cake with hop icing or an alcoholic hop milkshake with rum or bourbon. Like the ones at Red Robin....but better. I just read of a few commercial neipas that were barrel aged, but I want to see what they did. But hey, if anybody finds this interesting I encourage you to try it. Only note is to taste beer as you oak it and pull it off when you first taste the oak.....or don't and experiment because its homebrew.

Back