O2 Tank Types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Are commercial healthcare tanks and regulators compatible for oxygenation of wort use?

I don't mean are they safe-are they practical for beer making?

Are commercial healthcare tanks and regulators compatible for oxygenation of wort use?

Yes for O2, hardware is different and not iterchangable with standard regulators.
If you have a medical O2 tank with regulator use it.

The initial cost is higher, magic word "Healthcare" than a standard welding tank.

I use a welding O2 tank with filter in my set-up.
Oxygen_Regulator.jpg

Oxygen_Flowmeter1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I use a welding O2 tank with filter in my set-up.

What are you using for a filter?

The thought of using the O2 from torch setup that I have has crossed my mine from time to time since I already have it.

My understanding is you need a prescription to get them filled.

I just called arond, and in MI, at least in my vicinity, medical tank refills as swap only and w/script only.

Their tank, filled 113.60 + tax and then $20 to swap for full one, 20 cu. ft. thereafter, at Purity Cylinder Gases.

My aim was a larger, aluminum tank rather than the HD red ones...:(

What are you using for a filter?
Any HEPA 1/4" filter from your homebrew store will work.
I am at work and don't have the part number handy.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Any HEPA 1/4" filter from your homebrew store will work.
I am at work and don't have the part number handy.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Not trying to be argumentative her. I just don't get the need for the filter. Pure O2 is toxic for everything, right?

Also, can't see the entire set-up. I assume you are going from the outlet side of your Dwyer to an inline stone.

How do you keep moisture from creeping back up the line? I had a small mockery of what you've got there and I kept getting moisture in the flowmeter causing it to read erratically.

Not trying to be argumentative her.
Since I replied to this post you have all the right to question my answers.
I just don't get the need for the filter. Pure O2 is toxic for everything, right?
The O2 is not the problem.
My tank is a steel tank and over time corrosion starts, the filter keeps my wort clean.
You should see all my O2 & CO2 filters after long trime of use.
Most of my tanks are over ten years old.

I assume you are going from the outlet side of your Dwyer to an inline stone.
The flow is as follow:
From my whirlpool tank through the wort chillers > to the O2 injector > to the fermenters.

How do you keep moisture from creeping back up the line?
No problem.
The O2 injection pressure must be higher than your wort pump pressure.
In my case the wort pump pressure is 8PSI and the O2 pressure is 20PSI.
Why is my O2 pressure so much higher?
The stone and the rest of the injection systems pressure drop.

The O2 pressure needs to be turned on before the wort pump.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

ClaudiusB, your setup is crazy! You have a lot of time, money and effort into that brewery. The only next piece of equiment I see you needing is a business license and a brewing permit, then you can sell beer and get some money back for that amazing setup.

I was told the medical oxygen tank I bought at an estate sale-- $10 with a quarter tank of air left--could not be filled without a script with medical oxygen, but without guaranteeing me, a shop told me they likely could fill it for me with aviation oxygen as long as the tank is less than 5 years old and it is.

A machinist buddy of mine has told me that industrial O2 is actually more pure than medical O2. The reason stated is, lungs are a type of filter and many industrial processes that require O2 require a purity that is higher than the human body requires. I have never check the validity of his statement but it makes sense when you see someone smoking 3 packs a day. Any way I use my welding tanks. In AZ a scrip is required for medical tank fills.

Since I replied to this post you have all the right to question my answers.
The O2 is not the problem.
My tank is a steel tank and over time corrosion starts, the filter keeps my wort clean.
You should see all my O2 & CO2 filters after long trime of use.
Most of my tanks are over ten years old.

Claudius -

If you are seeing any corrosion in your tank at all you need to start getting your fills somewhere else. O2 IS certainly corrosive but I bet they aren't taking as much humidity out as they could be. Under pressure only a very very small percent of humidity needs to be present to leave drips of water on the bottom of the tank to start eating away at the tank. It certainly isn't safe. When is the last inspection on your tanks?

The O2 injection pressure must be higher than your wort pump pressure.
In my case the wort pump pressure is 8PSI and the O2 pressure is 20PSI.
Why is my O2 pressure so much higher?
The stone and the rest of the injection systems pressure drop.

The O2 pressure needs to be turned on before the wort pump.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Gotcha. I think my prolem comes mostly from being a flake about closing the valve after use. :drunk:

Back