O2 Regulator vs C02 Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravity

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got my new CO2 and it came with a O2 regulator as it came in O2 tank.

My questions are :

a. can a O2 regulator be used to measure CO2 accurately for kegging ?
b. does it matter much that my CO2 came in a labeled O2 tank. The guy explained the rational behind it and assured me it was fine, 99.99% C02 and that it can be used for welding and beverages.

My previous CO2 regulator is busted and can't fit on the new tank as the fittings are differet. The new O2 regulator fits on the O2 tank that now has CO2

I've read previous posts on those, just wanted to throw the question out to the group again

Check out the pic

fullsizeoutput_383a.jpg

PSIG is PSIG regardless of what molecules are bouncing around in there. (I say stuff like this that seems obvious, but feel free to correct me if I'm missing something about how regulators are designed.)

But, my question is . . . how do you plan to swap that tank when it's empty? I don't think that tank can be used for O2 ever again now that it's contaminated with something else - and it's probably already illegally filled since the gas isn't what that tank was certified for. My guess is no certified shop will touch it. Who is this guy that provided you CO2 in an O2 tank?

The O2 regulator is a bit different to use, or maybe its just me getting used to the way it functions vs the CO2 one I had before. As a gas, CO2 is heavier than O2 so I don't know if that makes a difference in the gauge reading the gas.

Its a repurposed tank, so it won't be used for O2 anymore, Kinda like when people repurpose fire extinguishers as CO2 tanks. Its my local welder, so I didn't get into legalities or extra questions, however, he mentioned he can always refill it for me and I'm alright with that.

As long as it carbs beer and can do so with a O2 gauge; don't ask, don't tell

The reg looks like it was adapted to cga320 which is for co2. So, the reg says oxygen but the tank may still be co2.

The O2 reg does not fit a standard sized C02 tank, it has a fitting meant for an O2 tank. Since my new tank is a repurposed O2 tank (now filled with CO2),a CO2 reg will not fit the repurposed O2 Tank, only a O2 reg will.

From what I've been reading, i should be fine, however at some point i may want to find an adaptor if I want to use an actual CO2 reg on a repurposed O2 tank fitting.

The gauges look different, and you know how that goes when you've used to something else for such a long period of time

I think you'll have a really, really hard time finding a company to put CO2 in a bottle with O2 fittings on it. Where did you source this from? I'd steer clear form them in the future.

The O2 reg does not fit a standard sized C02 tank, it has a fitting meant for an O2 tank. Since my new tank is a repurposed O2 tank (now filled with CO2),a CO2 reg will not fit the repurposed O2 Tank, only a O2 reg will.

From what I've been reading, i should be fine, however at some point i may want to find an adaptor if I want to use an actual CO2 reg on a repurposed O2 tank fitting.

The gauges look different, and you know how that goes when you've used to something else for such a long period of time

I think you'll have a really, really hard time finding a company to put CO2 in a bottle with O2 fittings on it. Where did you source this from? I'd steer clear form them in the future.

Exactly!
That also means the filling station used a non-standard coupling to fill this tank with CO2.

Did they at least slap a CO2 sticker on it?

O2 Tanks are very high pressure, 2165 PSI and above,
CO2 pressure is given by ambient temperature and seldom above 800 PSI.
O2 Regulator may be used on CO2 bottles with CGA 320 valves provided you change the Nut and pipe on the regulator.
This may be the case.
It is against the norm to switch a tank from CO2 To O2 but the other way around is apparently OK.
A CO2 regulator may not be used on O2 as it may not withstand O2´s higher pressure.
From your photo, both regulators appear fitted with CGA 320 Nuts (One looks bigger so I may be wrong.
CGA 540 (O2) nuts are different as they have an external thread (Male) and Internal (Female) Thread on the valve.
There are several pages where you can compare CGA 320 against CGA 540 and look for the difference.

Regarding your questions.
My answers:
a: Yes, it can be used, provided the manometers are accurate. They wont know the difference in gas.
b:Your tank may be labeled O2, but what determines its use is the valve. If your tank has a CGA 320 valve, then it is for CO2 use.
No reputable gas company will put O2 on a CGA 320 valve Equipped Cylinder, as the cylinder may no longer be suitable for O2 presures/use.
Safest bet would be to take it to a gas company and ask.

another point that has not been discussed is Hydrotatic Test date of the cylinder. Some come with 5 years, some with 10 years. If due, at some point in time you may need to retest.
HTH

I have a few questions.
You say your original regulator is busted. What is the problem?
The gauge? This may be replaced.
The regulator itself?
You may be able to overhaul it or get it refurbished. Third party refurb may not be that cheap though.

Back