O2 Cancerous?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Fenster

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
176
Reaction score
0
Location
Thousand Oaks, CA
I just picked up a Bernzomatic O2 bottle from Home Depot, and it warns that the canister and the by products of the combustion of its contents are known to cause cancer (Prop 65 warning).

Is there a different bottle I should be looking for?
 

shafferpilot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2007
Messages
1,579
Reaction score
16
Location
Cincinnati OH
combusting pure oxygen in the atmosphere results in all kinds of funky chemicals(think oxides of nitrogen). The oxygen in the bottle is actually pretty dangerous too. Oxygen has a chemical love affair with almost all substances. It's extremely corrosive (think rust)....... But that's the stuff that yeast needs to reproduce, so it has its purpose. That bottle is just fine for aeration.
 

Sir Humpsalot

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Nov 26, 2006
Messages
3,996
Reaction score
93
O2 is pretty dangerous, I suppose.... I mean, it can have some bad effects. But to be honest, it's really not as bad or as dangerous as dihydrogen monoxide. That **** will seriously kill you!!!
 
OP
F

Fenster

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2007
Messages
176
Reaction score
0
Location
Thousand Oaks, CA
Yeah yeah, pile it on...There are distinctions beween industrial and laboratory gas reagents. Just thought I'd check.

...and if I could find the damn smileys this is where I'd put one!
 

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
3,373
Reaction score
230
Location
State College
Fenster said:
I just picked up a Bernzomatic O2 bottle from Home Depot, and it warns that the canister and the by products of the combustion of its contents are known to cause cancer (Prop 65 warning).

Is there a different bottle I should be looking for?
It can make you go deaf too, at least temporarily. As teenagers, my friends and I started our "project" innocently enough. Fill a balloon with acetylene and touch it with a sparkler and you get a nice mushroom cloud filled with soot (carcinogen). I was taking welding at the time, and suggested we mix some O2 in with that. We took a balloon (sausage shaped), filled it with the mix, and thought hey, this is going to be more powerful so why don't we tie it to a brick and sink it into a 5 gal bucket full of water. I don't really recall why we thought that was safer. This wasn't a large balloon, only the tip was showing above the water. No mushroom cloud this time! Just a white flash and a spray of water. The bucket was split cleanly in half. Next we used a kitchen garbage bag, and quickly "graduated" to black trash bags. We'd fill a bag and tie it to a 12' sapling we'd cut down. Then light a candle and use the sapling to drag it over the candle. Wow!!!! It's like the bang only fire works on the 4th of July but only 12' away. The memory of the white flash would last a couple of minutes when you closed your eyes afterward. The bags would be reduced to tiny pieces. This was over 30 yrs ago. I think if one were to do this today, the cops would be there quite quickly.
 

e lo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
527
Reaction score
3
Location
College Park
Sure, O2 radicals are cancerous. Oxidative stress/damage is one of the primary mutagens.
 

Dr_Deathweed

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2007
Messages
2,376
Reaction score
49
Location
Bryan
But yeah, your bottle should be fine. O2 can be toxic and cancerous, just look up "oxygen toxicity" you should be able to find something. Of course, we still breathe a ~20% O2 atmosphere everyday....
 

HoosierDaddy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2008
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Location
Westfield, IN
Fenster said:
I just picked up a Bernzomatic O2 bottle from Home Depot, and it warns that the canister and the by products of the combustion of its contents are known to cause cancer (Prop 65 warning).

Is there a different bottle I should be looking for?
Its California nuff said. Other than eating grass and drinking pure spring water, they think everything causes cancer.

BTW do you know your nick means window in German? :)
 

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
41,296
Reaction score
3,708
Location
"Detroitish" Michigan
pjj2ba said:
It can make you go deaf too....
Oh yeah, this from a guy who's chosen instrument of choice is a tuba!;)

Could it be that you just can't hear anyother instruments any more, like a flute??


As teenagers, my friends and I started our "project" innocently enough. Fill a balloon with acetylene and touch it with a sparkler and you get a nice mushroom cloud filled with soot (carcinogen). I was taking welding at the time, and suggested we mix some O2 in with that. We took a balloon (sausage shaped), filled it with the mix, and thought hey, this is going to be more powerful so why don't we tie it to a brick and sink it into a 5 gal bucket full of water. I don't really recall why we thought that was safer. This wasn't a large balloon, only the tip was showing above the water. No mushroom cloud this time! Just a white flash and a spray of water. The bucket was split cleanly in half. Next we used a kitchen garbage bag, and quickly "graduated" to black trash bags. We'd fill a bag and tie it to a 12' sapling we'd cut down. Then light a candle and use the sapling to drag it over the candle. Wow!!!! It's like the bang only fire works on the 4th of July but only 12' away. The memory of the white flash would last a couple of minutes when you closed your eyes afterward. The bags would be reduced to tiny pieces. This was over 30 yrs ago. I think if one were to do this today, the cops would be there quite quickly.
I applaud you for your ingenuity and destructiveness!!!!!

 

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
3,373
Reaction score
230
Location
State College
Revvy said:
Oh yeah, this from a guy who's chosen instrument of choice is a tuba!;)

Could it be that you just can't hear any other instruments any more, like a flute??


I applaud you for your ingenuity and destructiveness!!!!!
No, I play the tuba in an vain attempt to not have to hear the flute!

The only thing we destroyed was the one bucket, and the bags of course. We may have been crazy, but we weren't stupid. I guess that's what I get for growing up in Michigan!
 

shafferpilot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2007
Messages
1,579
Reaction score
16
Location
Cincinnati OH
If you wanna hear a REALLY loud bang, try filling that bag with straight oxygen! No Acetylene necessary.
 

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
3,672
Reaction score
36
Location
Houston, Texas
count barleywine said:
I showered in dihydrogen monoxide this very morning! I am immune to its degenerative powers.
Shower, hah! I just drank about a pint it over the last hour. I did the same thing earlier today, and I'll do it later, too. Hell, I sober up on the stuff!


TL
 

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
3,373
Reaction score
230
Location
State College
shafferpilot said:
If you wanna hear a REALLY loud bang, try filling that bag with straight oxygen! No Acetylene necessary.
These bangs were REALLY REALLY loud. You had to brace yourself or it would knock you over. I'm sure they were heard for several miles. An M-80 is tame in comparison.
 

shafferpilot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2007
Messages
1,579
Reaction score
16
Location
Cincinnati OH
I worked in a welding shop for a couple years, and we regularly filled pipes and stuff with gases and lit 'em up..... Pretty darn stupid in retrospect, but fun as hell at the time:) The sharpest cracks always came from pure O2... I have no idea why, but I'm sure a science nerd will come along soon enough to explain it;)
 

Latest posts

Top