O2 after flame out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faseel

Reaction score
Was wondering about this and would be grateful for weigh in. I was discussing via email using a stone with 02 after cooling the wort but before pitching for aerating. What about this ( I'm sure this is not a new idea but didn't easily find anything searching) drop in your o2 stone right after flame out. The wort would or should still be plenty hot to sterilize the stone and whatever tubing hits it. Turn up the o2 and aerate a bit longer than with cool wort then cool and pitch.

I think since it hot you may continue to lose some O2 but thus you use more. I'm thinking too about the clear concern about using O2 right after flame out, but in O2 needs heat and fuel to cause flame and sugar does not start to burn until 350 degrees f. Wort is real hot but not hot enough to ignite. My thought is if your flame is 100% out and you are ready to cool, this would be one way to us O2 without having something else touching the wort on the cool side.

Ok shoot holes all in this. I won't attempt this until I hear from the forum. Remember this is just an idea open to criticism 1000 brewers brains are better than my one by a long shot .

Thank you!

I could maybe see putting the airstone in the hot wort to sanitize it.
But I would wait till it's cooled before turning on the gas.

the reason no one does this is hot side aeration... the oxygen molecules cling to the wort molecules in a way that do not get removed through fermentation, and later ruines the beer just as it had been oxydised after fermentation... aerating cold wort does not cause this, whatever remaining oxygen left over after yeast reproduction is pushed out of the wort from the bubbling co2 during fermentation...

I could maybe see putting the airstone in the hot wort to sanitize it.
But I would wait till it's cooled before turning on the gas.

Also a note on this suggestion... I've thought about dropping the stone and wand into the hot wort to sanitize it, only to later use it once wort has been cooled.... i've always been scared that the stone might get clogged while sitting in wort without air flowing through it... if anyone has tried it i'd love to hear about it...

G_Brew said:
the reason no one does this is hot side aeration... the oxygen molecules cling to the wort molecules in a way that do not get removed through fermentation, and later ruines the beer just as it had been oxydised after fermentation... aerating cold wort does not cause this, whatever remaining oxygen left over after yeast reproduction is pushed out of the wort from the bubbling co2 during fermentation...

Yup, what he said.

you will be wasting your O2 too, gasses dissolve more readily in cool liquids. It's the same concept as with force carbonation with CO2. It is the best idea to cool your wort then oxygenate it.

Excellent info guys! Thank you very much, and noted, cool side only for O2. Done and done!

Back