o-rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
I have a christmas ale and a pale ale kegged.

i had the christmas on tap, and my two other taps filled.

so, i wanted to sample the pale (took quite a few pulls, lol...) by just switching off the disconnects from the christmas.

now my pale tastes like the christmas! is this because the o-rings on the pale picked up some christmas beer spices/flavors?

or, is it because i used the same bittering hops and same yeast in both brews? anyone have a problem with orings picking up flavors?

also, how do you get the "big" o-ring off the QD? i have to use a knife. it's very scary.

Thought this was NSFW for a minute there.

I don't have a good answer to your question but I've noticed a strange aroma from the rubber stoppers that's now in my grolsch-style bottles but hasn't affected the taste as far as I can tell so I'm interested to hear someone with more experience comment on this.

Clean the beer line between kegs. As for o-rings, I always use a dental pick. I've rebuilt many valves and such and they are pretty handy little tool for that.

Back