O-ring on sight tube brush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was cleaning my 20 gal Blichmann Boilermaker kettle and used the included sight tube cleaning brush to swab the lower sight tube bulkhead from the inside of the kettle. It only inserted a 1/4 to 1/2" and when I pulled it out the brush there was an orange o-ring on the tip of the brush. Could this be the sealing o-ring for the lower sight tube bulkhead? If so, how the heck did it come out that easily?

I have sent the same question to Blichmann Engineering.

Both ends of the Blichmann sight tubes have gaskets behind the threaded hex socket screws. I haven't had any of mine pop out with the supplied brush - yet - but I can easily imagine they could...

Cheers!

Both ends of the Blichmann sight tubes have gaskets behind the threaded hex socket screws. I haven't had any of mine pop out with the supplied brush - yet - but I can easily imagine they could...

Cheers!

Thanks! :mug:

Looks like I will be doing some repair work this weekend

Is it the o-ring that seals the top hex cap screw on the dip tube? I have pulled mine out several times cleaning it with the brush.

Check the owners manual if you have one... I think it mentions something about the orings in ends of the sight glass. I'll see if I can find the manual for mine.

Ok, rcrabb22, sorry about this but first time through I totally missed that you were cleaning the sight tube from inside your kettle when you pulled out the o-ring.

Not sure how that could happen unless the ring wasn't properly installed in the first place, or it got dislodged when cleaning the site tube through one of the removable threaded inserts on the outside of the supports - or it's an extra that got lost inside the assembly at the factory (bonus!)

I'd remove both inserts and count o-rings. If one is missing that's the one you fished out ;)

Cheers!

Is it the o-ring that seals the top hex cap screw on the dip tube? I have pulled mine out several times cleaning it with the brush.

No -- At the bottom of the pot, the bottom sight tube bulkhead inserting the brush from the inside of the kettle perpendicular to the sight tube.

Ok, rcrabb22, sorry about this but first time through I totally missed that you were cleaning the sight tube from inside your kettle when you pulled out the o-ring.

Not sure how that could happen unless the ring wasn't properly installed in the first place, or it got dislodged when cleaning the site tube through one of the removable threaded inserts on the outside of the supports - or it's an extra that got lost inside the assembly at the factory (bonus!)

I'd remove both inserts and count o-rings. If one is missing that's the one you fished out ;)

Cheers!

Extra lost in assembly or incorrectly installed were my first thoughts too. I don't see how I could fish an o-ring out of there otherwise. I am taking the sight tube assembly apart now.

Back