O.K. You have convinced me ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumphouse

Reaction score
Well, I have my second batch in the primary (Summer Saison) and the O.G. was 1.060 and after a week the hydrometer reading is 1.017. The target reading (according to the instructions is 1.013), so I am gettin' pretty close, however, I am not goin' to transfer to the secondary and just leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks. It is always hard to convince yourself to deviate from the written instructions, but the various commentaries on this forum have convinced me to just leave it alone and let it do it's thing and then bottle for a minimum of three weeks. And if it turns out crappy, I'll just blame you guys. HA!

Ahh, but it will turn out great and you will thank us!

applause.gif

Maybe it will help you think about the final gravity as not a target to hit but rather a prediction. If your final gravity is higher or lower, that just means the people making the prediction (writing the instructions) were wrong.

Well, I have my second batch in the primary (Summer Saison) and the O.G. was 1.060 and after a week the hydrometer reading is 1.017. The target reading (according to the instructions is 1.013), so I am gettin' pretty close, however, I am not goin' to transfer to the secondary and just leave it in the primary for at least 3 weeks. It is always hard to convince yourself to deviate from the written instructions, but the various commentaries on this forum have convinced me to just leave it alone and let it do it's thing and then bottle for a minimum of three weeks. And if it turns out crappy, I'll just blame you guys. HA!

Nice job on the patience....are you planning on doing a temperature ramp-up?

What those instruction usually leave out is the use of a hydrometer to PROVE that fermentation has indeed stopped in 7-10 days.

As most of us now realize, if fermentation can sometimes take 3 days to even begin, there is a high likely hood that it is not really done on the 7th day (come one we KNOW that the inexperience brewer will read 7-10 days and do it on the 7th, I did my first time, it's human nature.)

The kit and kilo or basic kit manufacturers are banking on the fact that they only have a limited window of sales to an individual before he/she moves on to the next step of brewing, either trying recipes in books or online, or going all grain. So the bank on 2-3 sales per new brewer before they discover how to brew beer better.

Also as you ALL know, as you became more experienced, this is a hobby about patience, but in this quick trunover society retailers know that something that takes time, would be less popular than something with a quick turn around time...So they know that even though the beer would be better if they told the n00b to wait even a week further, they want to make this hobby as "pain free" as possible....

They're not technically lying, IF the yeast takes hold within a few hours and finishes in a week, you can bottle a lower to moderate gravity beer in 10 days, as Orfy's 10 for 10 milds proves. They just leave off the fact that waiting even a week more makes for better beer.

If you've noticed, it's mostly the kit and kilo, brew in a bag or mr beer type kits that say to do it quickly. The better kit manufacturers usually tell you to wait, as well as suggest to use a hydrometer. I've noticed the the Norther Brewer Catalog gives the most accurate range of their beers based on gravity and style. They will say, for example, "primary for 14 days, secondary 3-6 months, bottle condition another 6" for a higer grav beer.

We have multiple threads about this all over the place, like this one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ignore-instructions-do-not-bottle-after-5-10-days-78298/

Just finished polishing off a Saison that I let sit in the primary for four weeks, then bottled without using a secondary. It was delicious. Brewing another Saison tomorrow; I'll do it the same way!

Nice job on the patience....are you planning on doing a temperature ramp-up?

I don't think I will be doing a ramp-up unless it gets hung up at 1.017. It has been in the mid 70's range for a week, so I am hopeful that it will finish up, but if not, I might see if I can get it kick started with some heat. Hell, I ought to just put it on the front porch for about a half a day since we are STILL in the mid 90's here in central Texas.:mad:

Back