O.G. Readings Lower Than Listed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMasta

Reaction score
Just finished brewing my second batch of beer yesterday in the AM, my concern is that even though I followed the instructions to the letter my O.G. was lower than what the kit listed. My first kit was the NB Caribou Slobber with an O.G. Of 1.042, which should have been 1.052, and then brewed the t-can & Bearcats wheat ale which should have had a O.G. Of 1.045, but was tested, and had a O.G. Of 1.036. What could be the issue or issues here. My final gravity on the slobber was 1.013 which was in the expected range. Maybe I should stop testing the O.G. At the start.

If these are extract kits and you did not do a full 5 gallon boil, it is probably just that the top off water did not get mixed in completely. There is a thread about lo OGs for extract kits.

With extract brewing, there are really only 4 things that can affect the OG:

1. The wort is not well enough mixed, and the sample is slightly less dense than the wort at the bottom of the fermenter. This is nothing to worry about.

2. There's something wrong with your specific gravity measurements. Either the hydrometer is not calibrated or you are not properly compensating for temperature.

3. There's not enough malt extract. Either the kit is slightly under weight, or there's some waste (sticking to the sides of the container, perhaps).

4. You add too much water. The O.G. is based on a given total starting

Regardless, the goal is not to hit an O.G., it is to make good beer.

This is most likely your issue, not a real problem. The yeast will get it all mixed up during fermentation. Use the OG posted in the recipe for your calcs.

1. The wort is not well enough mixed, and the sample is slightly less dense than the wort at the bottom of the fermenter. This is nothing to worry about.

Back