Nylon Grain Sack In Oven?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
As I pivoted away from trying to build a small mash run from my old 2 gal water jug for smaller batch brewing (2.5 gals) the idea to mash in the oven. I’d still need to filter out the mash so can an old BIAB grain bag be used in the oven set at 150-155°?

As I pivoted away from trying to build a small mash run from my old 2 gal water jug for smaller batch brewing (2.5 gals) the idea to mash in the oven. I’d still need to filter out the mash so can an old BIAB grain bag be used in the oven set at 150-155°?
I have a 4 gallon kettle with a Wilser bag that I use for small experimental batches. I routinely put it in the oven at 155° for the mash. Never affected the bag whatsoever.

Have you ever experimented to find out how long the conversion part of the mash really takes and how much the temperature of the mash falls during that period? It seems that many people think that it takes a full hour for conversion but that may or may not be true depending on how fine the milling is. Once the conversion is complete, the temperature doesn't really matter. Some of us have done overnight mashes and the temperature definitely falls a lot which in conventional thinking should get that person a very fermentable wort.....but it doesn't.

Have you ever experimented to find out how long the conversion part of the mash really takes and how much the temperature of the mash falls during that period? It seems that many people think that it takes a full hour for conversion but that may or may not be true depending on how fine the milling is. Once the conversion is complete, the temperature doesn't really matter. Some of us have done overnight mashes and the temperature definitely falls a lot which in conventional thinking should get that person a very fermentable wort.....but it doesn't.
I have not, but have read that mashes can be complete sooner than an hour.

I mill mine finer than average, but I pulse my wheat berries a bit before I run them through the mill too.

Latest posts

Back