Nylon Compression ferrules...safe at high temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading my kettle solution and want to do an elbow 1/2" npt to 1/2" compression fitting to 1/2" OD SS tube for my dip tube. My understanding is that the SS ferrules are for permanent installations and the nylon for installations where you want to be able to remove the tube.

Are the nylon ferrules safe at boiling temps?

I don't have a direct answer re: the nylon ferrules but for my setup, I use the SS ones and disassemble and clean my diptube setup after each brew. There is no visible wear and tear on the SS ferrule.

High temp plastic does exist but I don't know if that's what the nylon ones are made out of. Most of the ferrules I've seen say they are made of Delrin. Here is a spec sheet I found:
http://www.plastic-products.com/spec.htm

So the SS ones can be removed? I assumed they'd dimple the tube and make removal impossible. Do you just put 'em on finger tight? In retrospect, you really don't need it super tight or even completely sealed.

Exactly. If they are on the inside of the kettle, not a big deal if they aren't totally locked in super tight. I tighten mine by hand and then maybe 1/4 turn (if not less) with a wrench to snug it up and basically prevent it from moving around. I've never had issues with the siphon breaking.

Another option for diptubes is the one Spike sells. It's a 2 piece unit. One piece has males threading on one end to go into the coupling. The other end is where you push the diptube in. The diptube is L-shaped and you can orient it to pick up from near the center of the kettle or near the wall. It's pretty slick and you can drain a kettle super fast. I use that as my diptube/pump intake. I use a smaller diptube with the elbow-to-compression fitting-to-diptube as the return from the pump.

The spikes one was basically what I was trying to copy. I got scared by their use of the word "proprietary" in the description. Is the threaded end standard male 1/2" npt?

Yes, 1/2" male NPT on one end. The other end is like a push fitting. There is enough compression to hold the diptube in place. It takes quite a bit of force to pull it out.

Back