NY cidermakers gathering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeBreton

Reaction score
Hey all!

Just wanna invite everyone to Bellwether's Annual Home Cidermakers' Gathering.

Join us for our annual home cidermakers' tasting and potluck. This event is free and open to everyone! Come talk cider with home cidermakers, industry professionals, cider geeks, and curious bystanders. If you make cider, please bring a bottle or two to share. We will also have a potluck meal, so bring a dish to share.

Sunday, March 24th 3-5pm
Bellwether Hard Cider
9070 Rt. 89
Trumansburg NY 14886

I'll be bringing my:
'11 Wild ferment cider
'11 Oaked cider
'12 Burgundy Empire cider

Looking forward to meeting you guys in person!

:tank:

I'd like that UpstateMike, I've had a few tastes of your Caramel Apple Hard Cider made by others, would be interested to see how the original compares.

I'm planning to make the 5 hr trip. Add 3 more wineries for z get away weekend. Where's a good place to stay?

Badass, MarkF!

Depending on your style, Watkins Glen is a nice little city with plenty to offer and many wineries nearby, Trumansburg itself is a cute little town with a cozy feel, ditto for Seneca Falls, and Ithaca is has the most going on overall.

Wherever you stay, stop by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taughannock_Falls_State_Park which is all of 5 minutes down the road from the cidery.

I would love to make it!!! I'm afraid that work and two small children will prevent it though... and I would be coming from CT, so I'm not sure if I would qualify. :)

I'm planning on making the short trek--a quick trip up NY89 for me. Hopefully, the snow in central New York will be melted by then...

I'm planning on making the short trek--a quick trip up NY89 for me. Hopefully, the snow in central New York will be melted by then...

I'll salt the parking lot for ya this time ;)

Also, if folks want, I can save all used bottles from the tasting room between now and then for people to pick up and take home. These are 750ml (25 bottles per 5 gallon batch) dark green champagne bottles which take a standard crown and come in case boxes for easy storage and transport. Makes bottling a breeze, totally free, PM me if interested.

Also, if folks want, I can save all used bottles from the tasting room between now and then for people to pick up and take home. These are 750ml (25 bottles per 5 gallon batch) dark green champagne bottles which take a standard crown and come in case boxes for easy storage and transport. Makes bottling a breeze, totally free, PM me if interested.

I'm interested! :D

So what are the attendees bringing?

All I have ready from last fall is Apple-cinn sparking dry cider, Apple-Pom sparkling dry cider and still Apple-Jack.

Wow, I hope I can make it.
If we are free I'll be bringing "Johnny Jump Up" and "Elderberry Cider"
The Elderberry is a little young and I have not tried it yet, but the 24th is a couple of weeks away, who knows.
John

~2 week reminder!

Still time to bottle that batch you've been working on and get it carbed up in time.

Caramel Apple will not be making the trip, but I'm working on a spiced cider with a hint of orange. If the weather is good I will try to be there with a few bottles.

Looks like I'm not going to make the gathering. Unfotunately, I needed to swap around some days off to accomodate my upcoming vacation. Hope everyone has a good time. Bellwether is a fun place a LeBreton a great host.
Andrew

Bummer, enjoy the trip and see you at the next tasting at your place.
(pretty sure it's my turn to pour)

I was in the area today about 3, stopped in, saw a white cat, and picked up a bottle of Liberty.:mug::tank:

Its unfortunate that I live so far away. I've been beating the war drum that we New Yorkers have to put our apples to good use, and you seem to be doing just that.

Would it be out of line to ask you guys to post pictures of the gathering and particularly the ciders?

I was in the area today about 3, stopped in, saw a white cat, and picked up a bottle of Liberty.:mug::tank:

Sorry I missed ya today, was in back getting the bottling line up and running for tomorrow. Got about 9+ cases of empties saved up too.

Its unfortunate that I live so far away. I've been beating the war drum that we New Yorkers have to put our apples to good use, and you seem to be doing just that.

Would it be out of line to ask you guys to post pictures of the gathering and particularly the ciders?

Come on Creamy, no excuses, MarkF is coming all the way from CT! :p

But yeah, I'll take some pics for those of you with other commitments. Nice to hear that others are fighting the good fight too. NY has some damn good apples and hardworking apple growers, we're really blessed.

In the meantime, here's a pic of some raw cider from the 2012 harvest, mostly UK and French varieties (Chisel Jersey, Brown Snout & Dabinett with some others to round our the blend) , grown on the east bank of Cayuga lake in shallow, shale-stone soil. 16.5 brix. Tannic cider apples make the best cider, both hard and sweet. This is the hydro sample post measurements, couldn't resist drinking it straight. We've been fermenting this super cold for over two months now.

2013-01-10 14.28.54.jpg

Got my room reserved in Ithaca. Checked the weather. I'm ready to put on some miles. Hope you don't mind if I don't bring a hot dish.

P.S. How much cider should I bring? Was thinking 2 12 oz. of each of my 2 ciders that are ready plus 16 oz. of apple jack.

That's great! Bring whatever you feel comfortable with. Some folks bring a singe bottle, others a single corny keg :cross:

One day to go!

For inspiration, here's a pic of some apple calvados, made from 100% Northern Spy cider, three years in french oak. A smooth 45% ABV. Currently in the blending tank becoming the first ever finger lakes Pommeau.

Calvados sample.jpg

Super jealous guys. Hope you are all having fun, and let me know about next year, I'll try to pencil it in!

Pics and stories when you can! :)

UpstateMike said:
Hey whadda ya know, I have a similar pic! :mug:

Hey mike that sweet orange cider is the best, most unique cider I've ever tasted. Good job!

UpsateMike's orange cider definitely generated some buzz, and MarkF's 20% ice cider was wonderfully smooth. We also worked on the new draft of cider guidelines for the BJCP.

2013-03-24 16.58.12.jpg

2013-03-24 16.03.35.jpg

UpsateMike's orange cider definitely generated some buzz, and MarkF's 20% ice cider was wonderfully smooth. We also worked on the new draft of cider guidelines for the BJCP.

Great!

A very impressive looking line up in the pics! Now I'm thirsty...

Darn! I found this today and I got into Ithaca yesterday. Did not know this was going on :/ Hopefully you'll do another one sometime Bellewether!

Back