Nut Brown recipe feedback plz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arpeggiator

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to brew a nut brown tomorrow but would like a little feedback on my recipe first. I'd like to make a nice malty brew and am looking for maximum toasty/nutty flavor. I've attempted 2 nut browns in the past but both seemed a little weak compared to what I was shooting for. Any tips would be greatly appreciated....cheers and happy brewing!

Recipe type: All Grain
Batch size: 5.5 gal
brewhouse efficiency: 66%

12 lb marris otter
1 lb. biscuit malt
.5 lb 60L
.33 lb. brown malt
.33 chocolate malt
.33 flaked oats
.33 special roast

1.5 oz williamette (60 min.)
1.5 oz. williamette (15 min)

Make Special .66 instead of .33

Add .3 lb of 40L

Add 0.5 oz Willamette at flame out.

I have really gone over this recipe, and it seems good as it is...

These changes are minor, as a result.

Maybe they will help.

I would also add some victory malt. Check out lil sparky's recipe. It's fantastic!

Looks excellent. A lot has to do with personal preference. I just did a fantastic nut brown very similar to yours, although with only a 60 minute addition of fuggles. I'm big on malt and yeast taste and aroma. I actually roasted a lb of otter to produce the nutty flavor (probably produced something synonymous with biscuit) on top of the addition of special roast and crystals. English ale yeast, after a month of fermentation and a month bottle conditioning, worked out wonderfully.

Back