Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettg20

Reaction score
Why are Nut Brown Ales labeled with the "Nut"??? I am formulating a recipe and researching this style and am wondering where the "Nut" comes from....is there a difference between a brown and a nut brown?

Cheers

They have a bit of a nutty-grainy flavor. Biscuit/Victory malt and a little chocolate malt help bring this out. Some of my favorite recipes also include Special B, and some include brown sugar or molasses.

Nut browns usually have low-to-moderate hopping with English hops, where American browns are hopped more aggressively with American varieties.

That said, there is no BJCP definition of the style, and they're considered either Southern- or Northern English brown ales. Northern browns are a little hoppier than southern. So if your beer tastes a little nutty/grainy to you, you can call it a nut brown if you want.

One of my favorite recipes is from Norther Brewer. Basically, it's 6lbs LME; 4oz each of chocolate, Special B, Bisciut and Special Roast; 1oz fuggle. This makes a beer almost identical to one of my all time faves, Wachusett Nut Brown Ale.

Back