nut brown ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickenSoop

Reaction score
I had my first nut brown ale in NY a couple weeks ago, on tap. It was delicious.

What it the best recipe for a nut brown ale?

I don't know what makes a brown ale a "nut brown." In any event, I'm quite happy with my Brown Ale Recipe (English Brown).

House Brown
Extract with Specialty Grains, 5 gal batch.

3.3 lbs. Dark LME
2 lbs. Amber DME
8 oz. Crystal 60L
6 oz. Dextrine Malt (Carapils)
4 oz. Chocolate Malt
1 oz. Willamette @ 60 minutes
1 oz. Willamette @ 15 minutes
0.25 oz Willamette @ 1 minute

Cool to low-mid 60s Fahrenheit, and pitch 1 sachet of Nottingham.

Smelled and tasted great!

On my most recent batch, I wasn't able to find any Willamette, so I subbed Styrian Goldings for bittering and flavor, and Saaz for aroma. Just racked that to secondary, but it smells wonderful.

"Nut" Brown usually just means you've added some ingredient to the grist that singles out a nutty, crackery flavor.

My regular ol' Brown Ale uses three malts: Pale, Crystal and Chocolate (85/10/5%).

My Nut Brown Ale uses Pale, Crystal, Chocolate, and Amber malt (80/10/5/5%).

I like the nutty characteristic Amber malt provides. You can also use a malt like Special Roast, Victory, or Brown malt (Sparky's, the recipe linked above, uses Victory). The bad news is you have to play around with different ingredients. The good news is you get to brew a lot in order to taste and get used to the flavors. ;)

Cheers!

Bob

Back