Nukiing your fruit/extract instead of boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Just a random thought that I had. Wouldnt it make sense for those who add fruit to their beers to just nuke them? I mean, it would work out 2 fold for you (I would think) if you adjust your nuke times.

1. The fruit would be sterilized/pasteurized by the intense heat from the nuke box.
2. The cell walls would break due to the expansion of the liquids inside of them.

Thats why things 'blow up' when you put them in the microwave.
Wouldnt this save a bit of time instead of freezing the (berries) to rupture the walls, then steeping them on the stove to kill some buggers.

Thoughts?
I know that with fungus, you can nuke some medium and have it very nice and sterile :)
-Me

I guess that would work, but it would give you "cooked fruit" results. I mean, it would set the pectin (like for jelly) and and give a cooked flavor.

I freeze my fruit (or buy it frozen), then thaw. I add a campden tablet with a little water and stir. The next day, I use the fruit. I never use fruit in beer, though- this is my procedure for wines and meads. I would do the same thing for beer, though, if I ever wanted to put fruit in a beer.

Back