American Lager 'King's Gold' GABF Gold Medal winning Pre-Prohibition Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP840 America Lager
Yeast Starter
3L decanted
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 48F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days @55F diacetyl rest
Additional Fermentation
60 days @ 35F lager
This was my first American Lager and it turned out great. Very crisp with a nice sweet corn aroma and flavor. This beer also recently won Best of Show out of 650+ entries at the 2018 'War of the Worts' competition and was chosen to be brewed at Iron Hill brewery to be served on tap at their brewpub.

Recipe:

78% Pale Malt (6 Row) US
22% Flaked Corn
Cluster 60 min addition (27.4 IBUs)
Hallertauer Milltelfrueh 5 min addition (2.7 IBUs)
3L decanted starter of WLP840 America Lager

Double infusion, Light Body Batch Sparge:
30 min @ 145 degrees - Protein Rest
30 min @ 158 degrees - Saccharification
10 min @ 168 degrees - Mash Out

Chill to 48 degrees and oxygenate with pure 02 for 90 seconds @ 1L per min. Pitch decanted starter and hold the fermentation at 48-50 degrees for 2 weeks or until final gravity is reached. Slowly raise the temp to 55 degrees for 3-4 days for a diacetyl rest. Rack to a keg and lager for 60 days prior to serving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where on earth did you find the Wyeast 2272?? Haven't seen it around for years. Christian Schmidt Philly Brewery strain, right?

Last edited:
Where on earth did you find the Wyeast 2272?? Haven't seen it around for years. Christian Schmidt Philly Brewery strain, right?

You are correct sir! I had 2272 written in my notes because that was the strain I had initially planned to use, until I went to my LHBS and realized they didn't carry it. I went with WLP840 America Lager instead.

I'd update my original post if only I knew how...

Here's a quick pic that doesn't do the clarity justice:
15209901152452011086023.jpg

Just checked my SG after 13 days and we are at 1.012, a little fruity/estery at this point, but still hazy with a bit of suspended yeast. Sound about right for this point?

Just checked my SG after 13 days and we are at 1.012, a little fruity/estery at this point, but still hazy with a bit of suspended yeast. Sound about right for this point?

I'd let it ride for a few more days then start to slowly raise the temp up to 55 for a diacetyl rest. Mine finished at 1.008.

I finally got around to brewing this again last Monday and plan on entering it into NHC this year. It didn't end up placing at GABF but we got word that it made it to the final table!

Just brewed one of these today. Not that I’m expecting you to switch but the 2272 is a fall seasonal release. My batch today was an attempt at rheingold. Not that I’ve ever had it, my wife’s great grandfather was a salesman and so I think it would be pretty neat for a large chunk of her family. It’s only 10 percent flaked corn(1lb) and 5 percent Munich light(8oz), the balance 6 row. Quarter of of cluster at 60 and 45, full oz at 20

Congratulations, and good job!

Your recipe, step mash, hops and grains (and WLP-840) are nearly identical to a Pre-Prohibition that won me BoS last year. The only significant difference was my use of YCH Cluster Fuggit hop in a DH. That, plus I only scored 39.

It's a simple but solid recipe, maybe proving the adage that "what's past is prologue." Back to basics for the win!

Brooo Brother

My Pre-Pro recipe and process are eerily similar to the OP's other than I use homegrown Cluster and Tettnanger. It's taken it's fair share of medals over the years. I've made it with WLP 840 (Schmidt), Wyeast 2105 (Coors) and Imperial Harvest (Augustiner) depending on what slurries I have available or LHBS availabilty. All things held constant, the Coors strain produces the most crisp beer of the three yeasts with some lingering bitterness, the Harvest is malty-bordering-on-creamy (really seems to bring out the maize), and the WLP 840 is a nice balance in the middle somewhere.

Iron Hill, the brewery that I brewed this beer with for the 2018 ProAm, brewed the beer again this year and entered it into the American Pilsener category as "King's Gold". I'm proud to say that it lived up to it's name and won a 2021 GABF gold medal!!!

IMG_20210911_080229.jpg

I'll be brewing it again soon to celebrate!

I never thought I'd say this but King's Gold is now canned and being sold commercially! Let me know if any one gets their hands on some and what you think...or just brew it yourself with this recipe!

View attachment 758222
Props! Great job.

After a two-year delay due to Covid restrictions, I finally got to brew my Pre-Pro at the local brew pub. It didn't get bottled, but it was on tap at the restaurant and the servers said it got rave reviews from customers in the restaurant and the bar. It was also served in the local Oktoberfest tent last fall, and all the kegs kicked. I only got one growler fill from the pub since we were observing "protocols" at the time.

I never thought I'd say this but King's Gold is now canned and being sold commercially! Let me know if any one gets their hands on some and what you think...or just brew it yourself with this recipe!

View attachment 758222
I was just at the Iron Hill in Voorhees, NJ last night for the "King of the Hill Night". I saw that King's Gold was on tap but did not try it. I didn't realize that it was your recipe. Next time that I go there (next week), I will certainly get a mug of it. In 2020, I was a finalist at Iron Hill's "Brew with a Legend" promotion with a Märzen.

Cheers!

View attachment 758222

Congratulations! You are making "World Class Beer"! GABF winner, no less! How cool is that! I am happy for you, and you should be proud of your achievement! That is a major milestone in any brewers career, home brewing and professional alike.

We would love to get our hands on a 6 pack.

Question...is there any difference in flavor between the beer you brewed and the version made by the brewery?

Congratulations! You are making "World Class Beer"! GABF winner, no less! How cool is that! I am happy for you, and you should be proud of your achievement! That is a major milestone in any brewers career, home brewing and professional alike.

We would love to get our hands on a 6 pack.

Question...is there any difference in flavor between the beer you brewed and the version made by the brewery?

Thanks! The commercial version uses Mexican lager yeast, the IBUs are a bit higher, and I think he said they added some flaked barley and carafoam to increase the body.

The last batch I brewed I also used the Mexican lager strain and it turned out great...it is very clean.

Thanks! The commercial version uses Mexican lager yeast, the IBUs are a bit higher, and I think he said they added some flaked barley and carafoam to increase the body.

The last batch I brewed I also used the Mexican lager strain and it turned out great...it is very clean.

Just told my wife your story! We are both happy for your well deserved recognition!
I get to Ohio frequently, so might make a short road trip to Pennsylvania and grab a 6 pack.

Getting a Gold at the GABF is every breweries dream. And you have done it! We have been to the GABF multiple times, and it is a hoot.

Again, congratulations on a dream come true!

This recipe is right up my alley. Thank you for posting!!
I’ve never used 6-row before but I’m excited to make this for spring.

Q about the yeast- has anybody used anything else besides 840? I have a pack of Imperial’s seasonal Bueno lager yeast on hand and I’m wondering if that would be acceptable.

This recipe is right up my alley. Thank you for posting!!
I’ve never used 6-row before but I’m excited to make this for spring.

Q about the yeast- has anybody used anything else besides 840? I have a pack of Imperial’s seasonal Bueno lager yeast on hand and I’m wondering if that would be acceptable.

That would work fine. I actually used WLP940 (Mexican Lager) on my last batch and it turned out great. It is a lot cleaner than the 840 but it let's the malt and hops shine in this beer. I like them both equally I think.

Good day gentle men and women,
Would someone be as kind as to reply with their hop schedule for this fine recipe?
The two different scales are pretty far apart and I really want to nail down the recipe as intended.
Or can I assume that the OP used the Tinseth scale?

Good day gentle men and women,
Would someone be as kind as to reply with their hop schedule for this fine recipe?
The two different scales are pretty far apart and I really want to nail down the recipe as intended.
Or can I assume that the OP used the Tinseth scale?
You want to target around 30 IBUs. For me it worked out to 1oz Cluster at 60 min and 1 oz Hallertauer Mittlefrueh at 5 min.

I listed them by IBU contribution in the recipe to account for alpha acid differences between hop crops.

You want to target around 30 IBUs. For me it worked out to 1oz Cluster at 60 min and 1 oz Hallertauer Mittlefrueh at 5 min.

I listed them by IBU contribution in the recipe to account for alpha acid differences between hop crops.
Thanks for that. It’s just that my calculator includes a couple of scales. I know that most of us Tinseth but I wanted to verify.
I want to do your recipe justice!
I have a Vienna in the fermented now but will get to this real soon.

Back