Nube questions about hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradergordo

Reaction score
When you are transferring the wort to your primary fermenter, and you have a bag full of hops (flavoring or bittering) in there - are you supposed to squeeze out the juices from this into the wort? Sometimes the volume from these things can be pretty big, the hops can really absorb a lot of fluid and expand. I also wonder how much of the good hop oils get stuck in the bag if you don't wring it out?

Another question - do you ever remove hops from your solution before the boil is over? For example bittering hops that you added at the beginning of the boil? Or do you always just strain it out at the end?

Nope you just leave all the hops in there...no need to pull them out

If I were you I'd loose the hop bags...no real point to them except for dryhopping(maybe)

Are you fermenting in a bucket or carboy?

If a bucket you can easily get a collender and a sive to stay on top of the bucket and just pour through that....that'll also aerate a bit for you

greenhornet said:
Nope you just leave all the hops in there...no need to pull them out

If I were you I'd loose the hop bags...no real point to them except for dryhopping(maybe)

Are you fermenting in a bucket or carboy?

If a bucket you can easily get a collender and a sive to stay on top of the bucket and just pour through that....that'll also aerate a bit for you

Personally, I like using a bag to cut down on some of the debris/trub in my boil kettle.

OP: I drain off the excess wort at the end of the boil, as I am chilling the wort. I whirlpool and siphon through a strainer (again, my preferences) into my primary to eliminate as much trub/break as possible and gain some aeration in the process.

Back