Now the real wait starts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jman1972

Reaction score
Well I just bottled my first batch of beer. I made a BB Witbier. It spent 12 days in primary. My gravity was 1.040 going into the fermenter. When I bottled yesterday it was at 1.010. I used 1 liter PET bottles and ended up with 17 bottles. Now the wait begins before I can drink it. I did taste it and it tasted like flat beer so i must have done something right. Now to decide what to do for the 2nd beer.

Start planning your next 5 of so. You need to start working on that pipeline. Those first 17 will be gone before they even reach there peak flavor.

Yep, once your friends find out about your new supply, it will "evaporate" quickly. Start building your pipeline.

This has started to eat at me too, already. I have one a week in bottles and I've started sampling it already! I put another in the fermenter, but until I finish the first lot, I have no bottles to put it in.

(Note: for the below, if you have project management software it might be more productive than a spreadsheet).
Being a geek as I am I took a spread sheet and made two columns labeled:

"Primary 1" ... "Bottles 1" ... "Beer in stock y/n"

Vertically the boxes are weeks. I then ran the pattern down the sheet with the following format:
2 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in bottles, 3 weeks drinking (optimistic!).

So the bottles are used for 6 weeks and the fermenter is idle for 4 weeks during a cycle. The full footprint cycle for the "line" is 6 weeks and the overlap (parallelization) is 2 weeks. The "no beer in stock" time is 3 weeks. (6 week footprint - 3 weeks drinking). It's MUCH easier to see on a spreadsheet (or tabbed out notepad text file).

It's obvious I need a second set of bottles first. It gets complicated to work out, easier with the spreadsheet.

Here is a PDF of what I mean:
http://www.campbell-multimedia.co.uk/temp/1forall.pdf

I feel your pain, Ven. I had to work out a brew/ferment/bottle schedule to get ready for the holidays. I have two mini-fridges for ferm temp control, 4 carboys, and limited space. It was a hassle, but it worked out to 23.5 gallons of beer brewed, bottled & given as gifts between Thanksgiving and Christmas day :)

Ask all your friends for bottles. I now have a couple hundred. It will be a while before I can keg so I need them. My plan is to get even more and get them filled.

Variety is the spice of life.

Back