Now that's a beer bomb!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
NEW MILFORD, Conn., Oct. 23 (UPI) -- A 22-year-old New Milford, Conn., man was killed and seven others injured after a beer keg thrown into a fire barrel exploded at an outdoor party.
The blast at 3:13 a.m. Sunday was powerful enough to shake windows a mile away from the field where between 50 and 100 people in their 20s were attending an annual pig roast, the Danbury (Conn.) News-Times reported Monday.
Sean Caselli, 22, was killed by a jagged piece of shrapnel to the neck, while seven others were hit by shrapnel or burned, New Milford police said.
Investigators would not reveal who had thrown the barrel into the fire barrel, the newspaper said.
"Nothing I have been apprised of to this point in the investigation ... indicates a deliberate act on anyone's part," New Milford Police Chief Colin McCormack told reporters.
By late Sunday, all of the injured had been treated and released from two area hospitals, McCormack said.
Monday, the incident was under investigation by local police, state and local fire marshals, and the state police Major Crime Squad, the newspaper said.
Copyright 2006 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

I heard about that on our local NPR station. They didn't say at the time that it was a beer keg, but it was pretty clear.

Is it evil of me that my first thought was - "NO! I *NEED* A BEER KEG!"

david_42 said:
"Nothing I have been apprised of to this point in the investigation ... indicates a deliberate act on anyone's part," New Milford Police Chief Colin McCormack told reporters.
.[/I]

Not deliberate? Which part, putting the keg in the fire or killing the guy? Who ever did this should be charged just like someone who set off a bomb. What did they think would happen with a sealed container in a fire. Being stupid is not an excuse. maybe they can sue the keg company since it didn't have a large enough warning on it..

How stupid do you have to be to throw a keg in a fire.

HOPEFULLY, the guy that threw it in there is the one that ended up dead. If so, that's darwinism at it's finest.

the_bird said:
I heard about that on our local NPR station. They didn't say at the time that it was a beer keg, but it was pretty clear.

Is it evil of me that my first thought was - "NO! I *NEED* A BEER KEG!"

If it is evil we are evil together . . . My first though was "They ruined a perfectly good brew kettle-to-be"

then again I dont have much sympathy for morons

Not a deliberate act?

Who wants to bet the phrase, "Hey, watch this!" was shouted just before the explosion?

I threw a full (capped) bottle into a bonfire one night and it exploded like a shotgun blast. No one was injured, but could have been. I was stupid. I can't imagine a full keg explosion.

"If anyone in your family's last words were 'Hey, check this out', you might be a redneck."

Back