Now that I've got some beer...bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
First time bottler here. I've been reading through back threads, and just wanted to run my plan by you guys before I ruin a whole batch of beer.

I've been saving bottles and will be buying more to make up enough for the whole batch. After emptying a bottle I rinse it well and put it off to the side. Now that I've got a bunch I'm soaking them in water with a little bleach in it. I'll remove the labels and set them aside until bottling time.

I plan to run them through my dishwasher's Sani-Rinse cycle just before bottling.

Should I run them through a regular wash cycle too? It's also got a Hi-Temp Wash mode. Should I bother? Without detergent, I assume. Should I put a little sanitizer in the soap dispenser?

Thanks a bunch,

-Joe

#1, try and get ahold of a no rinse sanitizer for soaking your bottles. Why worry about leaving bleach in there if you dont have to.

#2 If you run the bottles through the dishwasher, no detergent, dont but anything in there. Just water.

#3 I resanitize my bottles after they leave the dishwasher and then airdry them.

I have had no problems repeatedly rinsing bottles with hot water after decanting beer and setting them in a case. On bottling day, I hit them with the bottle jet and load them into the dishwasher after it has ran an empty rinse/heated dry cycle. I do the same cycle with the bottles, set the bottling bucket on top and pull them out to fill. Until recently I haven't even removed labels. I bought generic oxi-clean from the dollar store for that, and it worked VERY well. I'll know in a few weeks if it comes out OK, as I bottled the first batch with this process on Memorial Day, but I'm really not worried. I'm more worried about the little bit of extra priming sugar I added to increase carbonation, only to realize I only had 4.5 gallons to bottle.

Back