Novice needing advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coachie

Reaction score
Hi

I have been brewing using kits for a while now, but have now bought a load of equipment to brew in a bag. Does anyone have any advice for me on getting started?

Many thanks

Coachie

Get the grain to refuge as soon as you are done. if you wait a day or two (or a week) you will regret it. We all have our methods when it comes to mash and sparging. Once you go a few rounds you will have more specific questions that are more tailored to your methods and needs. I would suggest a grain crusher though. You can buy in bulk for cheaper and get a more consistent and better crush. I made a grain crusher from a pasta mill that I got at hobby lobby for 15 bucks. Look in the DIY section for that.

mccabedoug said:
Did you look here?

Poke around here for a while. You'll find what you are looking for.

+1, this thread is how I learned BIAB. Have the HBS give your grains a fine crush. Once I tried BIAB, I was hooked on all-grain brewing.

If you're using a small pot as a brew kettle, dunk sparging is helpful to increase batch volume and efficiency.

Get a big enough pot to hold everything at once. For a 5 gallon batch a 10 gallon will be just big enough, and most here would say go bigger. And get a big bag. I'm using a 5 gallon paint strainer and it isn't really big enough. Also, keep a friend/wife/child/sibling handy while brewing, you'll need a second pair of hands occasionally. Keep the hops away from the dog, apparently they are very allergic to them.

Back