novice homebrew advice - fermentation gone wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chez1987

Reaction score
hi there im a novice brewer looking for advice. my first couple of runs of cider look like they are going pretty well, im just using some pressed apple juice from the supermarket. so i started to get a bit adventurous and thought id try using some apple and raspberry juice in the next one as it was on sale. its been in the demijohn for almost a week now and it does not look like the others lol. its got a thick layer of...something? floating on the top. please see the attached picture. to me this looks like its gone wrong but having only done 2 runs previously, im no expert i thought id check! on closer inspection of the ingredients of the juice, its Apple Juice (90%), Raspberry Purée (9%), Aronia Juice. and says on the front 100% pressed apple and raspberry juice. should this be ok to brew with or totally not going to work lol?

thanks!

31758140_10213368165450863_6684847078436241408_n.jpg

Looks like krausen to me. Probably yeast mixed with the puree. In time it will settle out.

It looks OK. You might take a sanitized spoon or dowel and stir the fruit into the liquid - or alternatively, if you have a cap or a solid bung you might simply place that on the mouth of the carboy and shake the contents to incorporate everything into solution. Cider ain't beer and a little air during active fermentation is not terrible - what is really good for the fermentation is that you are degassing (removing carbon dioxide) AND ensuring any fruit solids are kept constantly wet (when they begin to dry out and are exposed to the surface you can find that they tend to rot and rot does not add a good flavor to any beverage.

Back