Novice Brewer Looking For Adventure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurry64

Reaction score
I brewed 2 batches (Amber Ale and Canadian Lager) 5-6 years ago with very limited success. Since then, I have read books, message boards and watched instructional videos about home brewing. Now, I am ready to try again.

My goal is to brew a mildly bitter, clean Pale Ale with woodsy, florally aroma. In order to simplify the process I will not rack to a secondary fermenter.

Here is my recipe:

1 lb. English (Muntons) Crystal 60L
6 lbs. Coopers Light LME
1 oz. Magnum pellets (60 Min.)
1 oz. Kent Golding pellets (15 Min.)
1 oz. Fuggle pellets (10 Min.)
1 oz. Williamette pellets (5 Min.)
White Labs 001 California Ale yeast

Since there are a limited number of ingredient combinations, I imagine this recipe has already been brewed, but for the sake of adventure, I didn't want to simply copy a recipe I found on the internet, or out of a book. So, based on my research, I can up with this.

Please take a look and let me know if you see any obvious flaws or problems. I don't want to brew another so-so batch of beer and walk away from the hobby for another 5-6 years.

Thanks for your input.

Steve

I feel like that's going to be more bitter than you think, depending on the AA% of your magnum hops. You might wanna move your last addition to flameout to help with the aroma, but it should be good either way really. Looks like a decent recipe.

It looks pretty solid and basic enough to really get right the first time. Whatever you do don't simply give up if it's not exactly what you're looking for. Brew a second batch in two weeks or so so you can get a pipeline of good beers going.

You might wanna move your last addition to flameout

Can you explain what moving to flameout means?

Magnum has an AA of 12-14% (same as Chinook). I'm not opposed to switching to Norther Brewer hops, which has an AA of 8-10%. I just don't want it to lose the ale character.

Can you explain what moving to flameout means?

Magnum has an AA of 12-14% (same as Chinook). I'm not opposed to switching to Norther Brewer hops, which has an AA of 8-10%. I just don't want it to look the ale character.

Flameout is when you turn the fire off (ie, 0 min), as opposed to the 5 min your recipe states.

Check the bitterness chart in this post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ibu-question-73106/

Plugging in your recipe to Beer Calculus ( http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe ) , it looks like your gravity is about 1.050 with 65 IBU. Now, that's just working with average values for the hops, and I know we've had some bitterness escalation recently, but I think it could be argued that your recipe is not to style due to the IBUs. With your stated goal of a mildly bitter ale, I suggest revisiting the hop schedule.

I could use some input, please.

Here is my recipe:

8 lbs. Alexander's Pale Ale LME
2 lbs. Munton's Pale Ale
1 oz. Northern Brewer - 60 min.
1 oz. Fuggles -15 min.
1 oz. Kent Golding - 5 min.
1 oz. Willamette - 5 min. Post-boil (all hops were pellets)
1 tsp. Irish Moss - 15 min.
WL001 California Ale

According to Beer Calculus, my OG should be 1.063. My OG was actually 1.070@ 83 f.

What factors could cause such a difference?

Thanks, Steve

You may have come up a little short on volume, pretty common when boiling off and leaving trub behind in the kettle.

Back