Notty finished a bit early. Possible causes/remedies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrman13

Reaction score
I recently brewed an oatmeal porter (5 gallon batch, OG 1.056). I haven't used nottingham yeast in quite a while, so I'm not really familiar with the ins and out of it. I pitched at 64 and fermented at 65-66 for 11 days. All signs pointed to fermentation being complete but my FG landed at 1.019 when I was aiming for something around 1.012. Upon taking this reading I added some yeast energizer, gently stirred up the yeast cake, and raised the fermentation temp to 73.

If anyone could tell me the possible causes of why it finished so high and anything else I could do to help it finish up I would sure appreciate it! Thanks all!

I doubt that's going to get down to 1.012 (over 78% AA). I think you're done. If you're looking for "culprits," they're the mash temp and unfermentables from the specialty grains. I doubt there's a culprit as all, as this probably tastes mighty good.

Back