Nottingham yeast smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveT

Reaction score
can anyone answer if Nottingham yeast has a diffrent smell then a muntons dry yeast does? I am fermenting a New Castle clone and I smelled the airlock and it has a diffrent smell then the previous batches have. It don't much smell like beer, and yet is hard to describe. Not sour or sweet, and not a stronger yeast smell like the others. I pulled the lid to see a huge krausen/foam cake on top. what are some visual signs of a infection?

In ProMash here are the description and comment for it

Low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas.

Neutral for Ale yeast, allowing for malty profile.

Those descriptions apply to the post fermentation attributes of the beer. Most yeasts have a different smell during fermentation (in my experience anyway) and some of them are NOT nice. My whole apartment stunk of sulphur from something or other a few months back. :( Just for a couple days but it was enough! If you have a nice big krausen on top you're in good shape, relax and have a beer my friend! :mug:

bradsul said:
relax and have a beer my friend!

That is exactly what I am doing, well having the beer anyways! I found a few of my corona bottles are not capped all the way with the Pikes IPA that I bottled the other day, so I have a good excuse to drink them early in the day. I wish I had something to compare the smell to and Hoping that there is no infections. I did take some pictures for ya guys to analyze (spelling?)

inf.JPG

inf1.JPG

inf2.JPG

inf3.JPG

the goop or what ever you would call it looks a little shiny/slimy..

Can't smell it over the internet but everything looks fine. Thats the Kraeusen your looking at.

P.S. Get rid of the clear corrona bottles and get some brown bottles for your beer. Beer in clear bottles can get skunked if exposed to light.

yet another vote that it looks normal. typical krausen ring stuck to the bucket.

Back