nottingham yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
has anyone tried using a yeast cake from a secondary with nottingham yeast? I have heard that there is more of a risk of contamination reusing dry yeast.

There is always a risk of contamination when reusing yeast. No more risk when using dry, its just that most people would never take that risk as opposed to buy a new pack of yeast (like $1 right?).

I would not pitch on Nottingham yeast that fell out in the secondary. Nottingham is a fairly high flocculating yeast, any that fall out in the secondary are low flocculating, I would not want those yeast in primary. Now if I were doing something where that didn't matter or if it was costly liquid yeast I would consider it.

I'm not familiar with that specific yeast, but for dry yeast in general, you're correct, you should not try to repitch yeast that started from a dry packet. In general, the dry yeast is so much cheaper than the liquid yeast that you shouldn't have to worry about cost.

The reason that you shouldn't repitch dry yeast is because the sterility and uniformity of the strain is typically much lower than liquid yeasts. Due to this, dry yeast have higher bacteria and wild-type yeast (mutants) than liquid yeasts do. Both bacteria and wild-type yeast replicate quicker than your desired yeast strain, so when you repitch, you will have even higher concentrations in your next batch. This will lead to either complete contamination (bacteria) or undesired or off-tastes (wild-type).

So if you want to repitch yeast, then start using a liquid yeast culture and you will have better success!

I've never used the secondary yeast, but I routinely pitch on Nottingham cakes for high gravity ales. I recently ran a Mild, then a lawnmower ale, then an IPA on one packet of Nottingham. I've never had a problem with contamination & contrary to the previous poster's opinion, dry yeasts are as pure as any liquid yeast.

The lore has it that you shouldn't repitch on dry yeast. The way it is dried is a non-sterile process (unlike liquid yeast processing) so theoretically the opportunity for increasing contamination exists. Practically homebrewers are fine to re-use a couple of times especially if you are doing a good job with a sanitary process and providing a good healthy environment that promotes yeast growth. Sure the financial benefit is not there for dry yeast but if I wanted to brew and had no yeast other then the Nottingham sitting in the bottom of my primary I'd use it. As others have posted they have done it and had fine beer.

I just washed a Windsor dry yeast and it looks pretty healthy to me.

I always play with the yeast to see how they save. The dry yeasts are good to experiment with/learn techniques on.

I just tossed 8 contaminated baby food jars of a Czech Bud yeast.

Funny thing is I used 2 of them (prior to the contamination showing up) and the brew was great.

The next generation looks very healthy with no telltale signs of problems and has lasted longer. :D

I dont recycle because the cost of a new packet of yeast just means that it is not an area I am about to tangle with.

I think there is an element of being a sissy here in that I am not really clued up on microbiology. If I was though, then im sure that reusing yeast is quite ok.

This is a little off topic,Not far though. What about this:

I brewed an Altbier with Wyeast 1007 on sunday. In a week i will be brewing an Amber beer that called for Wyeast 1007.

Heres my question: Would it be okay to repitch on the yeast cake? and if so,Do i just leave a little of wort from the first beer and leave in my primary, then when i brew ,just repitch my new wort onto the yeast cake?

hope you all can follow this

orfy said:
Nope, you have it right!

There must of been around 50 - 100 times the required amount of yeast cells. If not 1000's
I believe it. I have used it and from what I have seen it reproduces faster then the other yest I have used. I like the stuff.

killian said:
orfy do you do this often? 20 hrs sound great what where your gravities?

No it's scary and it can't be too good for the yeast or brew.
As it happens it tasted okay but I guess I was lucky.

Not sure of my gravities but most of my brews are 4-6% ABV.

I wouldn't recomend but I guess it's worth it for the fun once.

killian said:
you pitched on nottingham cake and finished to target final gravity in 20 hours? I have to be misunderstanding this.:confused:

Confirmed! I do this regularly. I have never had an infected batch. I have never noticed odd flavors. When you get to the third batch on the same yeast cake, you have to literally jump back when racking . . . ;)

Note - I wouldn't do this if you are after the flavor profile of a given yeast. Nottingham, however, is so neutral that you don't really have any yeast character to lose in its flavor profile.

Nottingham=Best.Yeast.Ever (even better than its mutant cousin US-56) :rockin:

attitude said:
This is a little off topic,Not far though. What about this:

I brewed an Altbier with Wyeast 1007 on sunday. In a week i will be brewing an Amber beer that called for Wyeast 1007.

Heres my question: Would it be okay to repitch on the yeast cake? and if so,Do i just leave a little of wort from the first beer and leave in my primary, then when i brew ,just repitch my new wort onto the yeast cake?

hope you all can follow this

You guys weren't kidding pitched wort on top of yeast cake, 2 Hours later bubbles, bubbles , and more bubbles

You guys weren't kidding pitched wort on top of yeast cake, 2 Hours later bubbles, bubbles , and more bubbles

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just wanted to chime in on this.

I just pitched a 1.100 OG stout onto a yeast cake (from Orfy's Mild). I pitched at 1PM Friday. By 5 Pm Sunday it was down to 1.030 and still going (down to a few bubbles a minute now).

Amazing.

Why would you even bother spending time washing Nottingham yeast? It's so cheap, it isn't worth the time.

I didn't wash it. I transferred a mild out of my primary and into a keg on the same day I was brewing a new batch. I pitched the stout directly onto the cake.

I saw no need to purchase 5 packs of fresh yeast when I had essentially just completed a 5 gallon starter for the Imperial stout.

Back