Nottingham Yeast and Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuggerOrange

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone else has had this. Danstar advertises Nottingham as highly flocculent yeast, yet both beers I have brewed with it have turned out somewhat cloudy. The first was an all grain 70/- from Northern Brewer (they sell it as a 60/-, but I got 80+ efficiency) and the second a Blonde that I just put in the keg that was the back end of my Parti-gyle experiment (Second runnings plus 2 lbs. Light DME and 1 lb. Honey). I used a Whirfloc tab in both batches. Maybe my processes? Maybe one of the other ingredients? I have had clear beers with my procedures and other yeasts. In the end I don't really mind because I am fine tuning my house beers, but I'm curious if Nottingham is as flocculent as they want you to believe.

i have had the same with my latest beers (since i stopped using liquid yeast for a while) used Notty on both of them, and they're cloudy. possibly coincidence?

i have had the same with my latest beers (since i stopped using liquid yeast for a while) used Notty on both of them, and they're cloudy. possibly coincidence?

Were your batches all-grain or extract? I was thinking that it might have something to do with all-grain brewing but like I said I have had clear all-grain beers with other yeasts. Beyond the clarity I like Nottingham as a yeast - a little spice on the back end but very neutral. I brewed both batches around 62*F.

one extract beer, one AG. I agree, I like nottingham a lot, it's a good reliable go-to yeast.

I use nottingham often, and it seems to be very flocculant and it also seems to make a really tightly packed yeast cake on the bottom. My beers are crystal clear with that yeast, without any finings except whirlfloc, in 10 days.

I use nottingham often, and it seems to be very flocculant and it also seems to make a really tightly packed yeast cake on the bottom. My beers are crystal clear with that yeast, without any finings except whirlfloc, in 10 days.

Could I be getting chill haze ??? Thing is the beer isn't clear at warm temps so the cold isn't changing anything.

Try cold-crashing your beer before racking to keg. Combine the cold-crash with some fining agent - gelatine is arguably simplest, though prepared doses of isinglass are just as easy. Leave it cold-crashed for at least a week, then rack to keg.

Patience is also a very good fining agent. ;) I lack patience also, so...

Bob

Try cold-crashing your beer before racking to keg. Combine the cold-crash with some fining agent - gelatine is arguably simplest, though prepared doses of isinglass are just as easy. Leave it cold-crashed for at least a week, then rack to keg.

Patience is also a very good fining agent. ;) I lack patience also, so...

Bob

Patience is a virtue, but not when you have an empty keg and nothing on draught !!! :D

Back