Nottingham - Taking a Shot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveM

Reaction score
Not to re-animate a dead horse, but my LHBS now had Nottingham yeast again, and it is obvious that they fixed the date stamping problem. The new lettering appears to be a laser print or possibly a silk screen.

Since before the *dark days,* I was a big proponent of Notty, I decided to take another try. I will report back on results. I do have some Safale 33 on hand in case the ferment doesn't take off, but since the problem seemed to have been diagnosed as the date stamping sometimes poking holes in the packets, the new marking should fix that.

I am confident that this new marking fixes the problem and hopeful that I will get that nice Nottingham ale yeast again.

I don't care much for the esters Notty produces. I ferment it relatively cool (64-67*F), but I don't care for the flavors it makes. Something about the combo of it's attenuation with the particular ester profile comes off as unpleasant to me... I find it particularly harsh in dark ales (stouts, porters, etc). I've never tried US04, but I will soon enough.

Open the fermented after day 7, it's like a fat guy darting in your face. I'm done with that shi. It.

Man, that't pretty harsh. Try giving it some time to clean up before judging.
If you brew lagers, I'm pretty sure you've smelled a lot worse after 10 or 15 days in the fermenter and been pleasantly surprized with the end result.

Did you rehydrate? What temperature did you pitch and ferment at? How long was the lag time?

I quit using Notty for a while, but am ready to try it again. Would appreciate if you would follow up after a couple more weeks in either primary or secondary and let us know how it cleaned up.

Thanks,

Bob

I've used Nottingham twice. I've never had a 'bad' batch but I am certainly not a fan. S-05 or WLP001 suits most purposes just fine for me.

Good luck. I've used Notty a couple of times: all beers were decent, but I'm not bothering with it anymore. The taste profile just seems bland to me: tart, dry, nutty. Plus it never stayed put in the bottles on the pour.

No thanks.

Well, I used to like the beers it produced a lot and used it regularly until a couple of years ago. It may be that it's better suited for certain styles. I make mostly Pale Ales, so tart dry and nutty might be a nice fit for those.

I can't say I've ever had any experience with nasty smells, but on the other hand, I don't even think of opening my fermenter until three weeks or so after pitching (except for dry hopping).

During the past couple of years, I've decided that my favorite Safale yeast is S-33, and I have plenty of that ready, but I'm pleased to report that after less than 12 hours, I have a vigorous ferment going.

Back