Nottingham fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

Reaction score
Hi all. I am currently fermenting a batch of Graff using Nottingham yeast. I've been busy with work lately and havent had much time to devote to brewing.

Anywho, I brewed it on tuesday and pitched the yeast at just about 80 deg. Right now its sitting at 75-77 deg and bubbling away happily. Will this higher than usual fermentation temp cause off-flavors in this batch? I'm going to set up a "swamp cooler" tomorrow, but will 2 days of higher temps cause trouble or am I stressing about this too much?

Eric

Any off flavor from your yeast will be produced in the first 2 days. If you can't control your fermentation temps for those first few days, it doesn't matter a whole lot after that. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but any damage is likely already done. Chalk this up to a learning experience and control those ferment temps in the future! I am sure the beer will still be plenty drinkable, just not exceptional.

When I used notty for the first time it fermented out a 1.060 beer in about 2 days. That's with keeping the temps at 67.. it came out with slight fuselly flavors. Also this yeast's fermentation will raise temps more than liquid yeasts that I've used.

Next time I'd try to keep it in the lower 60's if at all possible. Then it tastes nice and clean.

Btw if you end up with some off-flavors, just let it sit a few extra days in primary after all the fermentation is done. It may clean it up a bit.

Good luck!

Too bad, it seems to be the most vigorous ferment, and quickest to start after pitching that I've ever had. Im using a 3 piece airlock and the little cup inside is working up and down like a little piston! I guess its another lesson learned!

So cooling it off now wont help at all?

That's rather hot for Nottingham and I would expect some esters. You're not likely to have much in the way of fusels though. Considering what graff is, fruity flavors probably won't be too much of a problem.

I expect it is close to done, so cooling it now won't help.

Mid 60's is good for Nottingham...I am not sure that it would have enough time to go through all it phases ...I did Nottingham at 72 and beer was OK ...

I've done notty with a cider before at those temps, and actually the fruity esters play very well with the apple from the cider. I do lower abv ciders, (around 1.050) so the fusals don't come back to bite too badly. As usual, aging improves it. I usually bottle carb after a week or two in the primary, and hold on to it for another three weeks. I had one that was six weeks old, bottle carbed, and it was the best of the lot. Of course, it was the last one :p

Took a hydro sample yesterday. It went from 1.064 to 1.010 in 6 days. It tasted ok and the fruity flavors werent all the bad. It was sort of citrusy, but it could have also been from the Cascades I used. Not bad overall. We'll see how it turns out after bottle carbing.

Eric

I've found that if Notty gets much above 70, I get a definite banana-esther flavor and aroma. One batch was particularly bad, but after a couple of months in the bottle, it subsided, even disappeared.

Every time I have used Nottie at over 65*F, I got some serious skull-popping fusels. Drinkable with a little lime juice, though.

Hmm, I didnt detect any fusels, but i may not know what they taste like either. Definitely tasted some fruitiness, but it wasnt overpowering and didnt take away from the overall taste of the Graff.

Eric

Too bad, it seems to be the most vigorous ferment, and quickest to start after pitching that I've ever had.

While a quick start and a vigorous ferment might be a good thing, you triggered this by pitching way to high at 80 degrees. Additionally, the fermentation will produce heat, so you may have peaked in the mid eighties.

Next time cool the wort to 60 - 62 for a cleaner fermentation and a different tasting brew.

Yea, next time I'll definitely have a swamp cooler set up. Im now wondering what it would taste like if I had done everything right lol.

Eric

I'm using alot of notty right now, 2 in active primary. For the first time, its getting a really slow start after being pitched at 63.

Previously, I'd pitch around the higher 60's and continue chilling ambient down to 63. The yeast would take off and work so quickly that the temp would ramp to 68-70, requiring additional temperature control measures.

This time, its starting slow and seems to be at high krausen this morning after a 2 day lag and finally a slow steady fermentation, and it ISN'T ramping up the temp. I like this, finally I'm feeling in control of this yeast.. but then again it may be the viability, etc.

Latest posts

Back