Nottingham Fast Start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docod44

Reaction score
Hi all, I read a lot of Nottingham posts here before I went ahead and brewed BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde this past weekend. I saw that a lot of users here pitch Nottingham in the 58-62 range and the packet states it can go as low as 50 degrees F, so I decided to have some fun with my (empty) kegerator and use it as a ferm chamber. I pitched 5.5 grams of Notty in 3 gallons of 1.040 wort at 55 degrees F and when I checked on it again 18 hours later, there was already a 1/2 inch thick krausen and starsan being pushed out of my airlock. At 24 hours post-pitch it was already down to a SG of 1.033. This morning I noticed fermentation has started to slow slightly (still getting 1 bubble/second in the airlock) and the krausen is 1 inch thick, so I started stepping the temp up by 1 degree F which I'll do every day until I hit 60 degrees, then I'll finish it at 70 degrees for a week before cold-crashing and kegging!

Hi all, I read a lot of Nottingham posts here before I went ahead and brewed BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde this past weekend. I saw that a lot of users here pitch Nottingham in the 58-62 range and the packet states it can go as low as 50 degrees F, so I decided to have some fun with my (empty) kegerator and use it as a ferm chamber. I pitched 5.5 grams of Notty in 3 gallons of 1.040 wort at 55 degrees F and when I checked on it again 18 hours later, there was already a 1/2 inch thick krausen and starsan being pushed out of my airlock. At 24 hours post-pitch it was already down to a SG of 1.033. This morning I noticed fermentation has started to slow slightly (still getting 1 bubble/second in the airlock) and the krausen is 1 inch thick, so I started stepping the temp up by 1 degree F which I'll do every day until I hit 60 degrees, then I'll finish it at 70 degrees for a week before cold-crashing and kegging!

I've been very impressed with Nottingham and have used it in many British type ales and U.S.-style pales and IPAs, especially Blondes. Not as many esters as others, if you keep temperatures in the lower range. Always starts quickly, finishes sooner, and flocs like a rock when done.

Normally I'm a "yeast snob" and pitch liquid batches, except for Notty which is most common from Danstar/Lallemand. I was very excited to score a Fast Pitch of WLP-039 when it came out of the Vault for a month or so earlier this year. It proved to be a big disappointment, even though it was only weeks old and had been handled with care. A two-stepped starter build didn't work nearly as well as a single 11 gram dry pitch of Danstar does.

Brooo Brother

I've been very impressed with Nottingham and have used it in many British type ales and U.S.-style pales and IPAs, especially Blondes. Not as many esters as others, if you keep temperatures in the lower range. Always starts quickly, finishes sooner, and flocs like a rock when done.

Normally I'm a "yeast snob" and pitch liquid batches, except for Notty which is most common from Danstar/Lallemand. I was very excited to score a Fast Pitch of WLP-039 when it came out of the Vault for a month or so earlier this year. It proved to be a big disappointment, even though it was only weeks old and had been handled with care. A two-stepped starter build didn't work nearly as well as a single 11 gram dry pitch of Danstar does.

Brooo Brother
I never ended up raising my temp controller above 56 F because fermentation was so vigorous. It blew past my anticipated FG of 1.010 and hit 1.007 after only 3 days at 55-56 F.

I never ended up raising my temp controller above 56 F because fermentation was so vigorous. It blew past my anticipated FG of 1.010 and hit 1.007 after only 3 days at 55-56 F.

Yeah, I don't think I've had Notty end any higher than 1.009, usually 1.007 or 1.008, and gets there in five days or less. It's not as neutral or clean as Chico, but it certainly is an amazing performer.

Back