Nottingham Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesw801

Reaction score
Hi, I bought an ingredients kit today for a summer ale and noticed the batch is calling for Nottingham dry yeast. This is my first time using this yeast. I have a general idea how to use it from reading online, but want to find out exactly how to use it before I start my boil. Any tips on the steps to prepare and pitch this yeast is greatly appreciated. Thank you

I've rehydrated with a Sweet Stout and it was active within 7 hours and took the FG exactly where I wanted it at 1.018 but I had a good amount of unfermentables in there.

Also used it with a cider where I just sprinkled it in to the carboy and that was very active after a few hours as well. Sprinkled 2 tsp yeast nutrient in there twice within the next week and it took the OG of 1.062 all the way to 1.004. Ive also had it take another batch of cider with a lower OG to below 1.000.

Its a good, clean yeast that likes to eat and eat and eat. Either way it worked well for me so whatever u'd prefer as far as rehydrating, I think you be good.

Instructions for re-hydrating Nottingham can be found here. Basically, boil water and cool to between 86 and 95F (30 -35C), weigh out at least 110 grams of the water (10 times the weight of the yeast), sprinkle the yeast in the sterilized water, leave for 15 minutes, stir and leave for 5 more minutes before stirring again. Next, cool to the temperature of your wort and pitch.

Or just sprinkle the yeast on top of your wort and close your fermentor.

Nottingham is the honey badger of yeasts. I've rehydrated per instructions, simply sprinkled the dry yeast into the fermenter - either way it knows what to do.

My formal advice would be to rehydrate per the package instructions and pitch, but I really woudn't get worked up about the "perfect" pitch. I *would* recommend that you try to keep your fermenter in the 60-65F range for the first 4 or so days of fermentation so it ferments nice and clean.

Notty is very tolerant of temps (like down to 55*F) that will cause other ale yeasts to go nighty-night.

The other side of that coin is that you have to keep it consistently below 68*F (measured on the fermenter) during the first week or so since it can and will throw some funky off-flavors if allowed to run warmer than that.

Back