Nottingham Dry yeast and Diacetyl?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChubsMcGrubs

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to brewing (have a few batches under my belt), so please excuse any mistakes and take it easy on me.

I'm in the middle of brewing a steam beer and used Nottingham yeast (per the suggestion of the lad at the brewshop)

I pitched at 68-70. Let sit in a room at 65 F ambient temp for two days, then decided to use my bathtub as a swamp cooler (following days were going to be significantly warmer). By using frozen ice bottles,water, and a wet towel, the water temp stayed between 58-62 for the following 2 weeks, dipping to 55 a few times. From what I've read, this is at the lower end of the temp spectrum for Nottingham. Is there a chance that Diacetyl has formed?

I'd like to Dry hop with 3/4 ounce Cascade hop pellets for the last week.

My questions are:

1. whats the likelihood of Diacetyl forming at 55-62 degrees
2. Can I warm up the temp the last few days to sink any potential Diacetyl
3. Can I then cold crash to settle any secondary hops floating around?
4. By doing this, if there is Diacetyl, will the cold crash bring it back up into the beer.

Not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know much about diacetyl, but I think you are probably in the clear. I don't think you have a steam beer, however, if you're using Notty. I thought the whole thing with Steam Beer is that is uses a lager yeast at ale temperatures

Last edited:
I'm using notty exclusively now. I have had zero buttery taste in my beers. I ferment at 19C ambient for 4 or 5 days and then i usually put it on 20 or 21 if i'm cold.

Diacetyl doesn't drop; it's an intermediate compound the yeast can eat more easily at elevated temperatures. Try the beer. If it tastes like buttered popcorn, then letting it sit at room temps while you dry hop will clear that up. 2-3 days at room temp is enough time for both diacetyl and dry-hopping, but if you'd prefer to go a whole week, that's fine. My experience with Nottingham at low temps produced tremendous amounts of sulfur, but a few days at room temp cleared that up as well.

Used Notty a lot. Never had diacetyl at normal ferm temps. You will be fine. And in my experience with this yeast, there is no need to leave the beer in primary for over two weeks. It typically ferments out in 4 days, and I leave for an additional 3 days or so for the yeast to clean up any off flavours. I never secondary with this yeast.
I just cold condition the beer in my kegs. 5 % beers when kegged are grain to glass in 10 days or so. This is one of my favorite yeasts for clean ferments.

I've used Notty in the 55-62*F range for several batches. Never a hint of diacetyl.

After it slows and the krausen drops, I do normally bump it to about 65*F a few days to finish.

Thanks for the advice guys. Good to know that I might be in the clear. Kingwood-kid, thanks for clearing that up. Now I know a bit more about how Diacetyl works. Cheers

I had some diacetyl during fermentation with nottingham on an IPA. Strong caramel/butter taste. First thought about it coming from the crystal malt, but a few days later the taste completely disappeared. Nothing was changed : T°C was at room temperature during all the fermentation. So it will probably be eaten later by the yeast.

I've fermented in the low 60s with Notty and have never detected diacetyl. For the record I have a palate sensitive to diacetyl. Additionally Notty is my favorite/go-to yeast for simplicity and performance having brewed probably 40 batches with it.

I have used Notty for the majority of my beers, and have never had a diacetyl problem. Anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but there it is.

Back