Nottingham doesn't need aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All yeast need aeration.. dry has alot more viable cells then liquid and the reproduction stage is less stressful for the yeast therefore it produces less off flavors at lower o2 levels comared to liquid..but aeration should be applied to dry yeast but its more important for liquid..hope this helps

All yeast need aeration.. dry has alot more viable cells then liquid and the reproduction stage is less stressful for the yeast therefore it produces less off flavors at lower o2 levels comared to liquid..but aeration should be applied to dry yeast but its more important for liquid..hope this helps

this is not really accurate. aerating wort before pitching dry yeast won't hurt but it is not critical to dry yeast. 95% of my non sour beer is fermented with dry yeast and i never aerate the wort beyond whatever it gets from splashing out of the plate chiller into the fermentor. i do have an O2 tank that i use when i repitch the yeast (liquid yeast at that point).

this is not really accurate. aerating wort before pitching dry yeast won't hurt but it is not critical to dry yeast. 95% of my non sour beer is fermented with dry yeast and i never aerate the wort beyond whatever it gets from splashing out of the plate chiller into the fermentor. i do have an O2 tank that i use when i repitch the yeast (liquid yeast at that point).

Yeah you can get away with it without aeration and make very great beer..but a little o2 has more benefit then harm.. you are correct aeration is not critical for dry but i think o2 should be applied to dry yeast.maybe i should have said all yeast benefit from aeration rather then "need"

Latest posts

Back