Nottingham Ale yeast for wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonerrz

Reaction score
hey everyone, sorry i haven't been lingering around here for a few months, school, and jobs are very time consuming. But anyways! Im here at school and i wanna give wine a shot! And i have a few packets of Nottingham Ale yeast sitting in my fridge and im wondering if any of you guys know if i can make a nice grape wine using it! or will it ferment like beer and i'll get a strange grape like champagne lol? or will it be a big messy no no in the first place? any input would be great!

thanks! :]

Alright thanks conroe, I think ill give it a try with the nottingham and ill definitely let everyone here know how it turns out! who knows, maybe it'll taste better than if i used wine yeast ;)

Nottingham doesn't really have enough alcohol tolerance to make wine. It's also not quite clean enough.

Nottingham doesn't really have enough alcohol tolerance to make wine. It's also not quite clean enough.

:/. so what do you think will happen if i used Nottingham to try to make wine, will i jsut get a very low alcohol contented cloudy wine? or do you think it will turn into a bottle of something nasty that im gunna have to dump down the drain?

It'll end up with a lot of residual sugar and if you don't do something to clear it, yes it will be cloudy. Not sure why you would go to the trouble of crushing grapes or buying extract and then pitching the wrong $2 yeast. Wine yeast is pretty cheap dude, just get the right stuff.

I suppose you're right, its just im at school right now and my car is in my hometown, and the nearest brew shop is 20 miles away, kinda hard to get to at the moment :/. But i suppose i can wait a week or 2 till i go back home and can drive to my brew shop.

With wine making residual sweetness can come from a less alcohol tolerant yeast or by back sweetening. Whether or not Nottingham will make a sweet wine depends on the gravity of your must. I know some people use bread yeast and Welches.

Lol you know, this is kind of where i got the idea. one of my friends said when he was in the army a bunch of guys bought just normal grape juice, threw in some bread yeast, put it all in a 5 gallon bucket and threw a balloon on top and waited like 2 weeks. he said they drank it and got pretty drunk off it. I thought i'd might take a more "professional approach" to making my wine... using the correct yeast or not.

Back