***NOTICE*** Be Polite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some reminders to the more established members (keeping in mind that "established" is a relative term).

There are going to be a lot of new posters in the coming weeks. After all, the Mr. Beer freighter has dropped his Christmas load.

A lot of potential brewers will find this site and come here for advice, encouragement and other information to make them a better brewer tomorrow than they are today.

What they don't need is anyone with holier-than-thou attitude discouraging them from joining, participating and yes...posting on the site. If you're easily put off by the repetitive questions or polls, go to another thread. If on the other hand you have the patience of Yooper, feel free to offer new brewers the advice they seek. It's one thing to offer a n00b a bit of advice and encouragement and then redirect them to an established thread. It is quite another to quash the OP's enthusiasm with a "Hey dumba$$...do a search...".

This site gets a lot of kudos for being inviting, friendly and highly responsive to new brewers queries. I can't think of another resource that so universally furthers the cause of the homebrew nation. Let's keep it that way. We (mods) rely heavily on the "Report Post" feature and encourage you to use it when you think a post or thread is working to undermine the spirit of the site.
  • Keep debates friendly and on topic to the thread/forum.
  • No personal attacks.
  • Grow a thick skin. This is a "pub" after all where discussion will get lively and not everyone will always agree with you.
  • Refrain from political / religious discussion. Limit that to the Debate Forum.
So...please be kind to your homebrewing brethren and remember...we were all n00bs not long ago and to someone else...you're still a n00b.

Can I still be a snobbish, houlier than thou ****** to all the established members?

Of course! Moderators especially deserve special *****iness. Have at us!
:mug:

I think I'll try to be a kinder, gentler Yooper to all of our new members. That's my BrewYear's resolution this year. Then maybe they won't think I'm a middle aged guy!

Hey Dumba5s! Do a search... this topic has been covered about a million times.... n00b....

:D

lol! That took all of about 1 minute!

:rockin:

Seriously, thanks for the reminder BM. Even though we give each other a ton of ribbing, newer members don't "know" us and our personalities and can be put off by some of our responses. Even though we've answered the same question daily, they haven't asked that question before and don't know that we've explained that in full already. Let's remember the golden rule and we'll all be fine.

To all of us "old timers", remember that there is no law that says you have to respond to a question if you don't feel that you can answer it in a "nice" way. Gently pointing to a thread or two is fine- and explaining how the search to those links worked is very helpful. We're here to learn and even the most experienced in brewing don't know it all.

I think I'll try to be a kinder, gentler Yooper to all of our new members. That's my BrewYear's resolution this year. Then maybe they won't think I'm a middle aged guy!
Was there ever a not-so-kind, less-than-gentle Yooper? You, madam, are the very picture of graciousness.

I think we're ready for the deluge. Personally, I'll be giving back what I got. If this was another juvenile forum with a bunch of egos lording knowledge over each other, I wouldn't still be here.

I'm with ya, BierMuncher. :mug:

If we don't maintain a certain level of *****eness will we develop the next EAC thread. How about if we just recomend that all n00bs doing PM's use teenaged girls socks to hold their grains? The won't get it and we'll crack ourselves up?

PTN

HERE HERE! This site is responsible for my passion in brewing and the few grand that I have invested into it! I just wish I could be on here all day!

Since this post pre-dates the Debate forum, I added:

Refrain from political / religious discussion. Limit that to the Debate Forum.

There are members here that specifically opt out of the debate forum so that they do not have to see any political / religious topics discussed.

Please honor their wishes.

Since this post pre-dates the Debate forum, I added:

Refrain from political / religious discussion. Limit that to the Debate Forum.

There are members here that specifically opt out of the debate forum so that they do not have to see any political / religious topics discussed.

Please honor their wishes.

Also to that point, please refrain from the sophomoric and very irritating 'IB4TL' posts when inappropriate and inflammatory posts or spambots arise. Simply use the 'report post' button and move on.

Freedom of religion/speech? I guess not. If people don't want to read it, they can move on. I don't plan on writing about anything "religious" but will not be told I can't! Please respect that. Thank you in advance.

Freedom of religion/speech? I guess not. If people don't want to read it, they can move on. I don't plan on writing about anything "religious" but will not be told I can't! Please respect that. Thank you in advance.

That's not the way it works. This is a site owned by a private individual, and we can make the rules. If you don't like them, that's fine. You are welcome to not like the rules.

However, if someone chooses to not follow them, they are welcome to go to a site that would suit them better, or to start their own site.

Please respect that. Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back