Nothing but foam!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertusBrew

Reaction score
I have had my beer on tap for a few weeks now and I can't get a decent pour. I have probably wasted half of my 5 gallons on trying to pull a pint that wasn't all foam. I forced carbed at 30 psi for 2 days. Then set my regulator down to 10psi. I have 10 feet of 3/16"id hose. I figured I over carbonated the beer so I disconnected the gas line and bled the pressure out the relief valve many times over the course of 2 days, then I hooked the gas line back up at 0 psi and slowly added pressure with the tap open. I am still pouring 95% foam. Depending on the pressure setting the foam starts right at the keg or sometimes about halfway through the line. This is the second batch that I have had problems with, and I have only kegged twice. I'm getting really frustrated and about to switch back to bottling. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

I have had my beer on tap for a few weeks now and I can't get a decent pour. I have probably wasted half of my 5 gallons on trying to pull a pint that wasn't all foam. I forced carbed at 30 psi for 2 days. Then set my regulator down to 10psi. I have 10 feet of 3/16"id hose. I figured I over carbonated the beer so I disconnected the gas line and bled the pressure out the relief valve many times over the course of 2 days, then I hooked the gas line back up at 0 psi and slowly added pressure with the tap open. I am still pouring 95% foam. Depending on the pressure setting the foam starts right at the keg or sometimes about halfway through the line. This is the second batch that I have had problems with, and I have only kegged twice. I'm getting really frustrated and about to switch back to bottling. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Well, next time, do NOT start at 30 psi. The beer is probably overcarbed.

But for this time, store it at 10 psi. (I assume 38-39 degrees?) and pull the pressure relief valve all the time. Everytime you think about it. That should equalize the pressure within a week or so.

Are you fully opening the tap? If not, you are just gonna blast foam everywhere.

I am fully opening the tap. I agree that the beer is probably overcarbonated. I really hope pulling the relief valve often helps because I want to drink some beer damn-it!

Well yes you're over carbed. Be patient with your pours, fill a pitcher and let it sit for a few minutes to let it settle. It will be drinkable. Were you really at 30psi for only two days? i do that all the time and have no problems.

Yes, 30psi for 2 days. The same exact thing happened to my last brew also. I am no longer going to do that, I am going to set my beer at my dispensing pressure and leave it wait. I would much rather wait a while then deal with this foaming problem.

I had the same issue when force carbing at 30 psi for two days. I ended up pulling the relief valve a few times a day for a week and then turned the CO2 to about 4 psi and by the 2nd or 3rd glass it was pouring a perfect head (about 1 in. of foam).

Back