Note to self

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also found that Nottingham yeast can be fairly active too! maybe it's just experience kicking in, my first 2 batch, I pitched at around 70F, the last 3 I pitched at around 64F and those sumbitch are going at it like there's no tomorrow!

the 3 carboy I have are 6 or 6.5 gallons and those are the one that blow off, I have also an 8 gallons and a 6.5 gallons bucket, and those are not blowing off so far...

I just re-read this thread and have to summarize.

1) headspace is a concern in some cases. During normal primary fermentation, enough CO2 is produced to fill a reasonable space.
5 gallons in a 6 or 6.5 g fermenter is plenty of headspace. I consider it normal, as I'm sure most of is do.

As far as the OP is concerned, the fact that 5 g in a 6/6.5 leaves minimal headspace IS the very reason that a blowoff tube is a sensible idea in pretty much every case.

2) Notty yeast is another fantastic reason to use a blowoff every time.
The only normal ferment that I have ever gotten with Notty was when I started the wort at 60 and fermented for the first week at 62 degrees and then brought it up to 67 for the next 2 wks.
After the first week, there was about an inch of krausen and then the warming caused those suckers to wake up and finish the job. In less than 12 hours, I had 4" and the blowoff was bubbling about 4x per hour.
Notty is a beast and should never be disregarded as a potential mess maker.

To recap: a blowoff is a great idea every batch. Simple and sensible.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back