not your every day infection question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
so i bottled a batch of kahuna's pirate ale a month or so ago.

i got a six pack in and realized i sanitized everything except the bottling wand. i started over and re sanitized everything, for the rest of the bottles. i opened one today and it was great.

i kept the possibly infected six pack to the side. i plan to open one in the next day or so. what should i be looking for as far as signs of infection?

its a very dark beer. the head is a dark tan color. am i looking for moldy looking things, or chunks? or what?

thanks

from what I've read, the most noticable thing you'll find if you get a bacterial infection in your bottle is an overcarbonated beer that likely 'gushes' when opened....

ok, i noticed it was a little over carbed but i think it was because i bottled it with a low alcohol rum(high sugar content parrot bay) plus some of those carb tabs.

i'll taste one later. if it tasted fine i'll drink it. whats the worst thats gonna happen? i'll get the poops?

If it smells and tastes ok, it is fine to drink. Infections aren't subtle things where you could easily miss them but then they make you sick later. In fact, most infections won't make you sick at all: they'll just make you gag because they smell so foul! Believe me, if you have one, you'll know it :)

awesome. thats what i would like to read. i just dont want to be drinking it and get sick. i am glad its one of those "you'll just know" things

Revvy posted some craziness a while back from a germ-studying scientist of some sort who said that there weren't any baddies that could hurt humans and also live in fully fermented beer. I think it was in a thread titled, "Did I make my beer sick" or something to that effect.

Then again, perhaps I had had too much homebrew by that point, or perhaps dreamed it.

Back