Not very hopeful

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooligansteve

Reaction score
I received free honey from relatives who keep bees. I made two batches of mead yesterday.
However, I am not altogether very hopeful.
They honey had a pretty strong odor and I'm wondering (hoping really) if those smells will work themselves out of my finished product.
I'm planning on making a dry, sparkling mead which I will age over oak and a sweeter melomel aged over sour cherries.

Hard to describe the odor. But it was something that would make you crinkle your nose and make you hesitant about putting such a substance in your mouth. I suppose I can't complain too much as the honey was free and all I spent was a few bucks on yeast and spring water. I just don't want to wait 18 months only to get something undrinkable.

I probably wouldn't make mead out of any honey I couldn't eat. I just can't imagine that going well.

Well, I wouldn't say that it was inedible.
It just smelled a little.
And it was free and I was already given it with the expectation that I would turn it into mead. I couldn't exactly give it back and say "Thanks, but your honey stinks."
In any case, I have a long time to find out the payoff, good or bad.

Give it 5 years it will be fine. I almost through out my rasberry ginger mead after holding on it for like 2 years and someone on here said keep it and forget about it for a few years, well I did and it at this point is 5 years old and WONDERFUL!!!!!!!
when you go to bottle, bottle up some 12oz bottles then you have a few testers. I just wouldnt start testing for 2 years.
Mead takes a looooooong time to mature
JJ

If the mead turns out nasty, give it to the people who gave you the nasty honey. Tell them it was made with their honey, or not. (snickers) Regards, GF.

Back