Not too sure if this is bad...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doxology

Reaction score
So, I brewed a batch yesterday: 1/2 lb. of crystal malt, 1/2 lb. of Belgian aromatic, and 1/4 lb. of Special Roast were steeped prior to bringing everything to a boil. I realized today (afterward, of course!) that I probably needed to mash the aromatic and special roast to have starch conversion on those buggers. Any thoughts on how bad this may turn out?

By the way, first time post, and I'm really liking this forum! Brew on, brewers!

Welcome to the forum.

When you steep grains you're not trying to get any starch conversion. You're just extracting color, flavor, and body. What you did was exactly what you should have done, everything will be fine

Phew! Good to know. It was just one of those rarely-had-post-brewing moments, of OH CRAP!

Agreed. You will be fine. Those three malts don't need to be mashed because, as stated before, the malts will not bring you much in terms of fermentables. I do like brewing with Special Roast; it gives a nice nutty flavor to the brew.

Back