Not too sure about this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
I want to try this untested recipe for an IPA that looks pretty simple. I'm a little worried about the grain amounts as they seem a bit excessive to me. But what do i know, rookie that I am. Any suggestions or tweeks would be much appreciated.

1 lbs. Crystal Malt 20°L
2 lbs. American 2-row
2 lbs. Dry Light Extract
6.6 lbs. Liquid Light Extract
2 oz. Chinook (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 min
1 oz. Northern Brewer (Whole, 8.00 %AA) boiled 20 min.
1 oz. Northern Brewer (Whole, 8.00 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP001 California Ale

I am trying a partial mash. I am a rookie but I have a very small background from helping the local brewpub on a few batches.

Are you doing the mash just for practice since the crystal doesn't need a mash to convert?

Did not know that. Like I said very small background. If I dump the 2 row should i replace it or just get rid of it all together. If I don't have to do a partial mash I'd rather not. (Maybe I should try a different recipe.)

With that bill you are looking at an OG of about 1.067-1.072 for 5 gallons. That's pretty high but not too high. I might cut the crystal down to 1/2 pound and maybe use 40ºL but that's about it.

With the crystal and steeping you will get sweetness but not additional fermentables. Not sure the amount of difference you will note in the reduction, hopefully someone else can help with this.

That seems like a perfectly reasopnable first attempt at a PM to me. Have a spare pound of DME laying around on brew day in case you come in way low on efficiency.

Comfortable with a hydrometer and temperature calcs?

That will be a quite hoppy but very tasty APA when you are done, ass/u/me late extract addition for good hop U.

Have fun with it.

If I was doing that recipe, I'd lose the 2-row, and steep Crystal 40 (1/2 pound) for 20 minutes at 150-ish for 20 minutes, and then bring that to a boil, add the extract and then the first hops.

I like partial mashes, but it's not necessary in this recipe, and I don't think you'd bring anything "extra" to it by using the 2-row.

I guess I am sharing my opinion using my own taste buds, my first brew was IPA. It wasn't my favorite, I enjoy the malty flavor (Mmmmmm) my 2nd brew was a stout.

Back